PDA

View Full Version : Stealth speed cameras

Welsh Dan
11-06-07, 10:43 PM
They don't have to be clearly visible now, I've spoken to a few people who hadn't realised this fact so I decided to post it here.

The local constabulary had a cunning little trap laid out near my girlfriends house today, a black mondeo on patrol, a black focus and a black mg saloon parked up on the kerb with the speed cameras poking out of the rear windows, I didn't notice what they were until I was up really close to them.

A little further up the road was an officer in High-Vis directing traffic that they'd caught into a car park, where there were around 15 of them handing out tickets lol.

Sneaky ***** lol. (no they didnt get me)

Iain
11-06-07, 10:46 PM
Seriously? They're obviously running a little short on money then. :roll:

Welsh Dan
11-06-07, 10:47 PM
Seriously. They were at the favourite place that they used to use the clearly marked vans at, I'll get pictures next time I'm there.

kevster
11-06-07, 11:01 PM
really i will look in to this in the morning

loggyboy
11-06-07, 11:04 PM
If they are pulling them up there an there n then they wont be cameras, it will just be laser guns. If they are cameras they are probly not as stealth as you think, there will be clear camera signs some where near by as they have to display them (some times small ones on the back of the car or fixed ones that are always on the side of the road that you forget about cuz they are part of the everyday scenery.)

Driver
11-06-07, 11:18 PM
nope the boy speaks the truth ive known they were going to introduce the "hide the cash machine" law, didnt realise it was allready introduced though

loggyboy
12-06-07, 12:48 AM
Its been whispered for years, but Im pretty sure its not law yet, the medai would be all over it if it was.

loggyboy
12-06-07, 12:51 AM
infact after a little digging, its never been law for them to be 'unhidden'

Meredydd Hughes, the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) head of road policing, said it was "strange" that the cameras - which according to Government guidelines should be painted yellow and clearly signed - could be so easily identified.

At present there is no legal requirement for speed cameras to be made visible, and a speeding offence is not invalidated if they are not.

I assume they just need to place signposts that cameras are being used in the area.

Stuart
12-06-07, 07:57 AM
kidn of how northamptonshire do it by putting "we use cameras" on the county boundary signs so they dont need to sign post the induh vidual roads... bastids!

wisewood
12-06-07, 08:27 AM
dude, where were they?

your other half lives somewhere up towards that place that has 4 letters in the name, starting with LL ... right?

Novadex
12-06-07, 09:20 AM
They say they need to been sene because there situated in danger hot spots and so the driver can see where to take extra care, so hiding them would be pointless. Im not saying your rong, im saying they are if they are! Sneaky feks!

Jack
12-06-07, 09:27 AM
I used to see them used LOADS round Bristol and Bath doing that exact same thing - they'd park an unmarked van/car/hidden plod man with gagetry up the road and watch the traffic go past, then in a layby further down the road would be a team of wooden tops pulling people in.

Welsh Dan
12-06-07, 10:47 AM
dude, where were they?

your other half lives somewhere up towards that place that has 4 letters in the name, starting with LL ... right?

Llay. At the end near the cemetery. We'll no doubt see them (or not lol) near the Racecourse and by MFM too.

bump
12-06-07, 10:47 AM
I used to see them used LOADS round Bristol and Bath doing that exact same thing - they'd park an unmarked van/car/hidden plod man with gagetry up the road and watch the traffic go past, then in a layby further down the road would be a team of wooden tops pulling people in.

I walk past them most mornings on my way into work.

SRlew
12-06-07, 11:18 AM
yeh i think iv seen this sort of think happening in devon seen in it in newton abbot

Rich
12-06-07, 03:14 PM
If they get you on a mobile speed trap do they always pull you over down the road? I went through one yesterday leaving college not sure what speed i was doing as i didnt notice it until i was about 2 meters away. I dont think i was too much over the limit if i was.

Stuart
12-06-07, 03:23 PM
I just get out and go ask the monkey running the camera if he got me (if im unsure).... it hacks them off but they have to tell you, and it also gives other drivers a few moments of safety, oh and stops you worrying about the post for the nexxt 14 days lol

Rich
12-06-07, 03:28 PM
Yeh i should of gone asked, someone else ahead of me said he was doin over 70 (in a 50) and didnt even see the van lol. They were parked opposite road maintainance lorries so i thought it was one of them.

dave.gsi
12-06-07, 10:37 PM
what almost caught me out last weekend was some asswipe cameras on the motorway heading down south. what i thought were just big signs on gantrys accross the motorway had fooking cameras in the back.

they were electric signs displaying the speed limit (like 50 mph through roadworks and other tempory limits)

thing is there was bloody thousands of them one after another. it would have been possible to lose your licence several times over:mad:

bump
13-06-07, 10:48 PM
I presume your talking about the Birmingham section of the M42. In which case the Gatso's are controlled by the software that drives the gantry signs, e.g signs say 50 cameras are set at 50. Also IIRC you cannot gain more than one set of points in a trap complex, thus 3 points. However a court can overrule if they see fit.

dave.gsi
13-06-07, 10:51 PM
^^ yep their the ones

some were set at 50mph some at 60mph. spent more time looking at the speedo than were i was going:roll:

Welsh Dan
14-06-07, 12:00 AM
Turns out the ones I was ranting about were checking tax lol. My girlfriends brother got pulled because his numberplate was cracked and the system didn't recognise it.

faseman7
14-06-07, 09:55 PM
:p

bump
15-06-07, 01:12 PM
^^ yep their the ones

some were set at 50mph some at 60mph. spent more time looking at the speedo than were i was going:roll:

That's one of the biggest arguments against such installations (including SPECS). But then again it is the moral majority that come up with such ideas, rather than someone who actually has any knowledge on the subject.

Xen, nice one Sir! lol