PDA

View Full Version : 2lt 8v or 1600 tuning?????????

benny f gsi,n it
11-06-07, 02:54 PM
i have got a nova gsi standard e16se engine and i dont know weather to speand money on tuning that engine up (webbers ported and polished head) or spend the money on putting a 2lt 8v in as im a old skool person red top to common for me :p

MOL
11-06-07, 05:39 PM
I had a 2l 8v lump in 1 of my nova's and i was really impressed with it. I thought it pulled really well in every gear...

Ive not had webbers, But I did have a gsi e16se with a ported an polished head and a few other mods and I didnt think it was all that quick..

The 2litre would have eaten it alive anyway

benny f gsi,n it
11-06-07, 06:00 PM
ok what did you have done to the 2lt and did you convert it yourself?
Ben

Dan 130
11-06-07, 06:04 PM
2ltr all the way imo but it depends what your into

BigStan
11-06-07, 06:07 PM
Wouldnt it be best to just go straight for the 2ltr 16 valve ?

benny f gsi,n it
11-06-07, 06:36 PM
nar i do like 2lt 16v red tops but it is done so common, and i would like to keep it a 1600 to keep it standard but i love power lol

tom reid
11-06-07, 06:58 PM
Power is nothing without the correct gear ratio's!

Gunzi
11-06-07, 08:00 PM
The E16SE can be tuned in various ways. Dan R has ~140bhp+ of N/A power under the bonnet which gets him a low 14s for the 1/4.

IIRC there are/were a few turbo'd examples with around 170bhp.

Either way you'll need lots of time and money to get the E16SE up to a decent spec, but worth it if you have the commitment IMO

benny f gsi,n it
11-06-07, 09:07 PM
yer i would like to make a nice example of a e16se as not many around but is this for a reason lol ok what is the best box (gear ratio) to use with a tuned e16se?

craig green
12-06-07, 10:07 AM
The std ratios on a GSi are pretty good anyway, its a close geared box which helps acceleration & cruising at motorway speeds is just about bearable, the final drive ratios can vary on these boxes however.

I think in your shoes I would fit a 2.0 8v SEH from an Astra GTE as it will always have more power & torque than the 1600 & the tuning principles can be applied, so again it will always gain power above what the 1600 could for the same mods.

My GF has an Astra 8v with a 4 branch manifold etc & it sounds lovely & tears the tarmac in the 1st 3 gears with ease. I like.

benny f gsi,n it
12-06-07, 12:28 PM
ok but you have to go through the same convertion process as the red top seal weld new mounts new hubs and shafts, could i use the 4 branch off the 1600? im slighty swayin todards a lovley 2lt 8v

benthehash
12-06-07, 02:36 PM
power is good handerling is fun and faster!

i don't like flying down the dual carrageway at 140mph slaying the backroads and around town is my tipple. i got the gsi 8v lump in my sr. Built a new engine from bear block just over a grand including brand new webber carbs ?500. 4.18 final drive in the gear box two seats and a cage fully stripped pucker. search to see whats needed to tune theres loads on the history on here where i got all my info i'm no mechanic but built engine and car myself

benny f gsi,n it
12-06-07, 03:12 PM
now this is a man after me own heart im thinking of sticking the the 1600 and propper tuning it as not many around and smallblocks fun lol

tom_beverley
12-06-07, 04:09 PM
I've just built a fresh L+B 1600 8v block, already got T40's, AST2 cam, 4-2-1 manifold and just bought a brilliant cylinder head so I'm hoping for around the 130-140bhp mark.

And I've got a 4.18FD F13 box so it should pull like a good 'un through the gears.

edit- I would love a valver though, but the the ones I've been in have been too nose heavy, but none of those had a proper coilover / xe setup

benny f gsi,n it
12-06-07, 04:18 PM
ok how much did all that cost ya, did you buy the cylinder head of snowface?
Ben

tom_beverley
12-06-07, 07:10 PM
Aye, on its way now :)

MOL
12-06-07, 07:17 PM
ok what did you have done to the 2lt and did you convert it yourself?
Ben
It was just a 130 lump with a filter and full system... nothing too special prob no more than about 135bhp, but It was quick (wouldnt keep with a valver nova but it still went well. Would still beat a lot of bigger cars).
quicker than my mates 16v astra gte.. and as a lot of people know there not shy cars.

ye the conversion wasnt too hard, more or less the same as converting to a redtop.

benny f gsi,n it
12-06-07, 07:21 PM
ok damm u tom had me eye on that good buy there. ok so for the same amout of work converting it i could have more power with a 16v.

tom_beverley
12-06-07, 07:26 PM
lol lol I was lucky there it came up at the right time, I was going to experiment with the Blydenstein head (also got that off Snowface) but the CR would be about 12.5:1 :eek: Sorry off topic.....

For power for ??? an 2.0 16v is the best option and with the right suspension setup will be great.

Personally I'd prefer a 1.6 16v though, as they are also very tunable. Maybe in a couple of years...

MOL
12-06-07, 07:43 PM
In parts the 2l 8v conversion cost me about ?250 (thats everything inc engine)... so it was a lot more power for little money.

However even tho it was quick I soon wished I had gone for a redtop conversion.

I now have a redtop nova and its a whole new world... The 130 lump was quick... the redtop is verrrry quick

fix
12-06-07, 08:07 PM
Yer id go for the redtop option,maybe more expensive but in the long run well worth it.8 valve engines arent only slower theyre ugly too,the redtop looks much nicer

Each to their own but for me its redtop all the way! Also theyre better on juice which makes me happy :)

Dan
12-06-07, 09:38 PM
fix i wouldnt go making comments like that lol. You are right in much of what you say,but you should try a semi hot 8v, even in baby form they can shock people. I should know.

Back to topic, tbh mate the easiest option is the 16v route if going big block. I have always agreed with this as long as you put some effort into completing the package meaning suspension etc.

I personally run a baby 8v and have always loved it, the difference with mine is i have had it over 10 years now and always promised myself i would build it to a decentish spec which over the years i have done. Along the way i had a few points to prove to myself which also i have done. If and when it goes pop i will rethink my whole setup and start again. But i doubt i would go down the same route again.

There is no right or wrong engine, its down to personal preference and what you think you want to achieve/use it for

benny f gsi,n it
12-06-07, 11:41 PM
yer see i would like to do down dans route and keep it a nice standard spec just tune the engine as i go along not many gsi still with standard 1600s in them