PDA

View Full Version : Calling all 1.6i gte/gsi owners fuel consumption

GTE TURBZ
09-06-07, 06:25 PM
Hi guys, i'm a tad bit worried, finally got my GTE on the road, and have begun to use it on a regular basis, i filled it up with ?20 and reset the odo meter, i've used it all week and covered 90 miles, and its almost on the red, probably see about another 15 miles before i have to fill up again.

Driving it in town trashing it here and there, red lined in a few times, this amount of consumption is ridiculous. Engine is total standard and done about 57k. not been lowered, standard suspension with the 14" donut tyres.

1.6 efi, i've looked at the fuel consuption and calculating it, i should atleast get about 150 on 20 quid if not more.

what sort of miles you guys getting taking into consideration balance between cruezing and canning. for e.g 10/20 worth.

and also, how can improve the consumption i.e. tunning the engine etc.

Stuart
09-06-07, 08:07 PM
miles to the pound drasticly changes if you have expensive fuel in your area...

Dan
09-06-07, 08:25 PM
just fill the car the car up and reset the odo, drive it until its as empty as it can go and fill it up again, make a reference of the litres it took and work out your mpg. (ive done it before and carried a gallon can in the boot for when it actually ran out)

As stuart said with the massive varying fuel costs going by a 'rough' amount put in will tell you nothing

Stuart
09-06-07, 08:34 PM
my method is similar... brimg it, reset the obo, drive for a while... dosent need to be empty. then fill to brim/click again. see how much fuel did X miles

GTE TURBZ
09-06-07, 08:34 PM
just fill the car the car up and reset the odo, drive it until its as empty as it can go and fill it up again, make a reference of the litres it took and work out your mpg. (ive done it before and carried a gallon can in the boot for when it actually ran out)

As stuart said with the massive varying fuel costs going by a 'rough' amount put in will tell you nothing

i didnt add but, the car actually was out of petrol to the point it didnt start anymore, and forunately being a down hill to the pet station, roll it in. The thing is when it conked out the warning light didnt come on either, and well now i just have to estimate how far i can go before it conks out to get an indication of how far that 20 quid gets me. i have to see if i still got the fuel can.

what sort of miles u guys get?

big gra
09-06-07, 11:16 PM
i get 8-10 mpg in my land rover, so consider yourself lucky!!!

my nova (1.4sr) will do 40ish to the gallon if im kind with it!!

bigbened
10-06-07, 01:07 AM
my 1.2 does 51 tothe gallon on motorways at 80, but about 10 when im ****ting around etc

neul
10-06-07, 03:19 AM
ive got a gte (1.6i) its coming up to 130k fully standard except its got a full magnex system which is blowing..
i get 20mpg round town and that, and its a little bit better when on the motorway.

it stinks of petrol when you shut it off and runs lumpy as when its idle'ing, oh and it pops when changing at high revs :p

Stuart
10-06-07, 02:08 PM
put it this way. in dans silly **** 1.6 ive had about 35mpg from it.....

ste porter
10-06-07, 03:43 PM
mines ok if driven sensably as soon as you start getting heavy footed it tips its neck back and down it goes!

i get about 15-20 to the gallon doing short sharp blasts from work to home down the back roads about 20 round town and if i drive steady on motorway ect i can see it go up to about 35 at the end of the day if your kind to it it will be kind in return moral of the story if you cant aford it dont thrash it

Mike
10-06-07, 04:22 PM
mines just kills fuel pumps

fix
10-06-07, 05:06 PM
My old nova gsi didnt really do less than 30mpg and no more than 35mpg,my old nova 1.4sr did the same

Driver
10-06-07, 05:10 PM
mines just kills fuel pumps

does 3 fuel pumps to the mile lol

my 1.2i isnt much better only does about 45 mpg when i drive sensibly but the engine is pretty much furked

pul16v
10-06-07, 08:44 PM
i just have to estimate how far i can go

how do you knw its not got ?7 worth of pertol init when you estimate its going to run out think you need to do stuarts way of working it out mate if you dnt have a working fuel guage

phil

Adam
10-06-07, 09:34 PM
You should get 30+mpg from a 1.6 mpi engine Easily.

Mike
10-06-07, 09:51 PM
does 3 fuel pumps to the mile lol

so far its done 2 fuel pumps to 20ft :thumb:

polred28
10-06-07, 10:53 PM
I am getting near 80 to a tenner with a two litre 8v,and we are paying a pound and 7 pence a litre up here in the N.W.:mad:

GTE TURBZ
11-06-07, 12:05 AM
well couldnt find the fuel tank so couldnt wait till it conks out, what i done now is marked a point on the gauge i.e. some near the reserve and stuck in a tenner (resetting the odo) then wait till i reach that point again and see what miles i get. i had a gte turbo double head gasket jobbie and with the same driving habbit even that was a little more eco than this. but then again they say if a turbo is driven normally it actually can be better than a normally aspirated engine.

got two other diesels vauxhalls so might jut have to start using them too where u get like 100miles for a tenner even if u thrashed the cr*ap out of it. and use the juicy gte here and there

Driver
11-06-07, 08:05 AM
we are paying a pound and 7 pence a litre up here in the N.W.:mad:

furkin hell its only 98.9 pence per litre here

Welsh Dan
11-06-07, 08:12 AM
94.something for Shell here.

Kickingriffin
11-06-07, 08:26 AM
97.9 where i am.... Mine has become very bad since i fitted K&N, but was expected...on a full tank im getting about 210 miles (if im remembering correctly)

Stuart
11-06-07, 09:14 AM
lol the fuel consumption wont be any worse with the K&N, its just you like the noise so floor it more so use more fuel that way.

craig green
11-06-07, 09:37 AM
No one has mentioned having the idle speed & CO set at a garage.

Would make a difference I'm sure. I'm sure I read somewhere once that the later Bosch systems were prone to overfuelling a little due to an ECU fault.

Jim
11-06-07, 09:54 AM
ive got a gte (1.6i) its coming up to 130k fully standard except its got a full magnex system which is blowing..
i get 20mpg round town and that, and its a little bit better when on the motorway.

it stinks of petrol when you shut it off and runs lumpy as when its idle'ing, oh and it pops when changing at high revs :p
Sounds like its overfueling. Get it to a rolling road for a tune.

GTE TURBZ
11-06-07, 11:17 AM
we'll i got it mot'd and they just adjusted the co emission, and when i got home realised that the idle was running abit high, so adjusted it myself somewhere between 800/1000.

The thing is how will a tune up improve fuel eco, sorry for my technical ignorance what do they actually do? i know they're supposed to tune the vehicle in every gear to get optimium performance

craig green
11-06-07, 01:27 PM
Theres not much to fiddle with on L Jetronic but I'm sure the idle speed & CO together will help things as would replacing the CTS for a new one.

Made mine drive loads better.

GTE TURBZ
11-06-07, 02:36 PM
Theres not much to fiddle with on L Jetronic but I'm sure the idle speed & CO together will help things as would replacing the CTS for a new one.

Made mine drive loads better.

CTS? what is it how is it and how easy to remove and replace? Cheers

Stuart
11-06-07, 02:50 PM
coolant temperature sensor. its under the "dizzy" iirc. easy to change and if your fast wont lose much coolant.

craig green
12-06-07, 10:09 AM
If you cahnge the CTS on a cold engine & slacken the header cap 1st (then tighten back on) you get an air lock in the header & will lose next to no coolant.

Tbh its the 1st thing to change if an injection engine is suspected of running rich.

GTE TURBZ
12-06-07, 11:23 AM
but how does the actual CTS affect the injection of petrol (just like to know the technical side before i actually do it) i can occasionally smell petrol in the cabin, and me mum pointed it out when i was dripping her to work,

well if i loose the coolant whilst changing its the same stuff thats in the Rad right so just a case of topping it up?

oh another thing, the idle fluctautes too if thats helps, also does the CTS work like an automatic choke or shall i say is that the instrucment that controls the auto choke.

GTE TURBZ
12-06-07, 12:31 PM
Thanks guys just had a look at CTS on wikipedia which has answered my question, called vauhall said its ?9 so i'll give that a go, also will that explain my the idle fluctautes?

GTE TURBZ
15-06-07, 01:01 PM
Still in the process on changing CTS but i've been getting about 45/50 miles to the gallon, about 20 MPG looks like what other peep have been getting but there was one person that said get between 30/35 MPG, called coutenay and they said i should get about 75 miles to a tenner.

Stuart
15-06-07, 01:07 PM
lol and you took the courtenay jibber jabber as gospel?

oh and whats a tenner? hmmmm seeing as fuel prices vary lots.

between 30 and 45mpg would be "normal" in my eyes for normal driving.. thrashing the nuts off it will be sub 30mpg.

Adam
15-06-07, 01:29 PM
Id give you a fiver if you got over 35mpg in town driving from a e16se.
45/50mpg is impossible.

GTE TURBZ
15-06-07, 09:45 PM
98.9p round here, i calculated it to be round 20 mpg,

G-MANS
16-06-07, 01:40 PM
I have a gte with kent cams, exhaust system amd fse valve, modded air box. I check my mpg every single time I fill up. I have done for the past 6 years.

Worst case scenario (spirited driving round town) = 17mpg
Average driving (spirited driving plus semi casual = 24mpg
Town and motorway = 27 - 30mpg
Pure motorway (spirited motorway driving) = 30 - 35+ mpg

The way I work it out is: fill tank completely up. use entire tank and fill up again. (note how many litres it took to fill up tank, example 35 litres) Before resetting oddometer check how many miles you did with previous tank (example 212miles). Now all you need to do is write in calculator 212 miles divided by 35 litres Multiplied by 4.5 (this is approximately how many litres in a gallon, i.e you want MPG not Litres per gallon).

example: 212 / 35 X 4.5 = 27.2 mpg

GTE TURBZ
19-07-07, 12:27 PM
I have a gte with kent cams, exhaust system amd fse valve, modded air box. I check my mpg every single time I fill up. I have done for the past 6 years.

Worst case scenario (spirited driving round town) = 17mpg
Average driving (spirited driving plus semi casual = 24mpg
Town and motorway = 27 - 30mpg
Pure motorway (spirited motorway driving) = 30 - 35+ mpg

The way I work it out is: fill tank completely up. use entire tank and fill up again. (note how many litres it took to fill up tank, example 35 litres) Before resetting oddometer check how many miles you did with previous tank (example 212miles). Now all you need to do is write in calculator 212 miles divided by 35 litres Multiplied by 4.5 (this is approximately how many litres in a gallon, i.e you want MPG not Litres per gallon).

example: 212 / 35 X 4.5 = 27.2 mpg

shouldn't it be:

35Litre/4.5litre = 7.77777778gallons i.e. how many gallons in the full tank

and then 212/7.7 which gives 18mpg roughly

my car is currently doing 22mpg in town! 25mpg on motorway, its crazy compared to a derv, diffinatley not good for an everyday car!

Adam
19-07-07, 12:36 PM
I get 38mpg around town in my 1600 16v :p lol

GTE TURBZ
19-07-07, 02:31 PM
whats that a corsa or an astra or something, or 1600 16v conversion to a nova,

might even consider getting a td nova and turning it into a gte lookalike,

Adam
19-07-07, 04:51 PM
1600 16v conversion to a nova.

G-MANS
19-07-07, 10:10 PM
"shouldn't it be:

35Litre/4.5litre = 7.77777778gallons i.e. how many gallons in the full tank

and then 212/7.7 which gives 18mpg roughly

my car is currently doing 22mpg in town! 25mpg on motorway, its crazy compared to a derv, diffinatley not good for an everyday car!"

GTE TURBZ the calculation you did is just another way of working out the mpg like mine. When typing in your maths calculations I get the same answer as I got when doing it with my method. Not sure where you got 18mpg from, must have entered it wrong in your calculator!

GTE TURBZ
23-07-07, 03:00 PM
Sorry yeah your right both the same, will get an empty petrol can and conduct the MPG test :-) may consider a td conversions!