PDA

View Full Version : rear wheel bearings ?

Driver
08-06-07, 11:39 PM
are they a pig to do ??
doing mine tomorrow and never doen any before ??

quick step by step guide would be useful if anyone fancies it lol

Philsutton
08-06-07, 11:47 PM
nice an easy, just remember not to tighten them up to mach 4 otherwise you'll be changing them again very soon.

Driver
08-06-07, 11:49 PM
oh ye what will i need aswell as in tools and lubricants etc

Welsh Dan
08-06-07, 11:58 PM
I think its a lithium based grease, but I could be wrong, and when I bought rear wheel bearings they came with grease anyway. Ideally a press is the best tool, but failing that, some large sockets/holesaws, a wooden/plastic mallet and a small wooden block will be required to tap the outer races into the drums. I didn't have large enough sockets to press the larger outer race in with, so I had to use the smooth side of a holesaw against the race, with the wooden block on top of the toothed side, hitting the wood with the hammer. Make sure they go in straight and all the way down, check them often as you tap them in.

Take the wheel off, prise the hub cover off, put to one side, take the split pin out and the nut and washer and put them in the hub cover for safe keeping. Pull the drum off, if it gets stuck on the shoes, hit it with a hammer on the outer lip ONLY, the lip is there for this purpose, dont hit any other part of the drum. Once the drum is off, tap the outer races out with a chisel/screwdriver and a hammer, then press the new ones in as described above. Slacken the handbrake cable off a bit, and press the shoes 'fully in', without touching the braking surfaces, then grease up the inside of the outer races, pack the bearings with grease, and squirt the rest into the gap where the stub axle goes into the drum for good measure. Put the drum back on, put the washer on then the nut, torque up to around 25nm then slacken the nut off until you can move the washer around with a screwdriver, put the split pin in, the hub cover back on, refit the wheel, readjust the handbrake cable and you're done.

If you don't know how to adjust the handbrake cable afterwards, jack up both sides of the rear of the car, put the handbrake on 2 clicks, then tighten the cable until you can just hear/feel the brakes acting as you turn the wheels by hand.

Driver
09-06-07, 12:08 AM
sounds easy enough to me.

anyone how long it should take per side ?? im fairly ametuer

should i buy some more split pins or re-use ?

thanks again and sorry for all the questions, i dotn want to dismantle it and find i need something else lol

Welsh Dan
09-06-07, 12:13 AM
Hard to say how long, took me around 3 hours to do both sides including new shoes and hanbrake cables for the first time. May aswell get new split pins but I re-used the old ones. I degreased the stub axle aswell and then put a bit of fresh grease on. Leave the bearings in the packet until you actually need them, so as not to get them contaminated. A can of brake cleaner would be good to have to hand just incase you contaminate the braking surfaces aswell. One thing I forgot to say about handbrake adjustment was pump the brake pedal a few times before you start.

Rule of thumb: if you've got the tools to take it off, you've got the tools to put it back :p

Driver
09-06-07, 12:14 AM
Rule of thumb: if you've got the tools to take it off, you've got the tools to put it back :p

i took the axle off my old clio with a cutting torch ??

didnt go back on very well lol

cheers again pal ill let you all know how it went and how long it took lol

R1CH
09-06-07, 01:51 AM
Might be worth slackening the handbrake cable off to start with, will be easier to get the drums off.
Took me about 45 mins to put 2 rear bearings in my sisters Corsa, pretty straight forward tbh.

Rich

Driver
09-06-07, 12:28 PM
done drivers side one took me 1 hour 45 mins lol im still learning.

ended up taking hub and inner races to garage to have them knocked in, i thought they would use a special tool but just knocked it in with a dot punch (proder):roll:

so ill road test it in abit ond hope its all good

then tomorrow the passanger one