PDA

View Full Version : oil question??

Ash C
08-06-07, 05:38 PM
rite o, had a brilliant day saturday on a trackday at elvington. only major probelm with the car was after about 5 hard laps of driving i could just tell it was knocknig, (only slightly) it was just over have on the tempreture gauge so i gave it a cool lap, that got it back under half so i did a nother 2 or 3 laps then came back in. when i came in and pulled up i could here a slight knocking noise from the bottom end. and when i dipped the oil it was very thin. but after it cooled down it was fine ready for some more rapeage lol

anyhoo was just wondering if it was to do with the oil getting too warm and would it need an oil cooler? i had a word with an oil dealer at work and he gave me some s p e 50 he said i stays the same viscosety right though the tempretures so may try that first.

was just after your thoughts on this if any body else had this trouble?

oh and its a c14se on twin 40's :thumb:

Stuart
08-06-07, 05:54 PM
id try the thicker oil to start with. if your still having issues then cooler it.

i run 10W60 in my car and ok i dont thrape the nuts off it but the oil stays stable as does the engine temperature (twas noticeable when it got hotter and the cars tem didnt varu)

Ash C
08-06-07, 06:03 PM
/\/\/\ yesh think i will try the oil first.

when i was going through the oil dealers chart looking at all the viscositys at high temps there isnt much in it between all the oils (bar the synthetics) but it must make the difference.

Stuart
08-06-07, 06:15 PM
What kind of busget have you got for the oil?

the 10w60 in mine is the shell helix racing fully synth stuff (50-80 per gallon lol, i didnt pay that though)

Id go fully synth if your raping the **** off it and dont want to be changing all the time.

Ash C
08-06-07, 06:25 PM
well the bloke i was speaking too recomended me the spe 50 because i was going to get the fully synthetic which he said was about 50 - 80 like you said, but he said i could have that for 15 quid for a gallon. then he recommended i try the spe 50 first and he gave me that for free! so i might see how that goes first. im willing to spend money if it needs it. better than conrods on the deck!

Stuart
08-06-07, 06:37 PM
your oil dude sounds ace!!!! at ?15 a gallon thats a bargin for a performance style oil.

Ash C
09-06-07, 06:24 PM
its not a brand like castrol though, but looking at his spec sheets it wasn't a woolworths best oil neither. so i'll have to see if how the spe 50 does at donnington next month. still cant decide if it knocking or not. stil think its my ears being over cautious lol