PDA

View Full Version : Engine Rebuild

Anonymous
27-02-02, 06:35 PM
Recently i've been contemplating rebuilding the 1400 (carb) engine in my Nova. It's done over 120k miles, but still runs well. However it does burn oil (probably valve stem oil seals).

I think rebuilding is the best option rather than go for a bigger engine due to insurance. My old man is a mechanic and i've got the use of his workshop and all its facilities plus his experience.

Anyway, i've got a few questions before i decide to go through with it or not.

1. If i were to lighten and balance the con-rods, pistons and flywheel, is it as simple as just taking it to a machine shop and saying 'lighten and balance this'? Will they know what to do, i.e how much to machine off etc..?

2. I guess i'll go for a slight overbore, where could i get the oversize pistons to match? Is it just a case of oversized piston rings? Would the combustion chambers in the bottom of the head need to be machined to match?

3. What is involved in rebuilding the bottom end, like getting the crank reground and fitting new shells?

4. I'll be looking for a good bit more power when the rebuild is done too, i was thinking of a Weber 32/34 carb, fast road cam, K&N and a full stainless steel exhaust too. If this was running with approx 1.5L capacity what sort of gains would i see?

I'll definately rebuild the head and probably port the inlet, but not the exhaust ports, and grind down the valve guides too. Just generally make it flow a bit smoother.

Are there any other points anyone would recommend, like getting a professional to rebuild the bottom end?

I know that a couple of people on the site have done similar, i.e CP, MC & Ste, but can't find anything relatively useful in the archieves.

I know this is a long post but i'm keen to know!

Cheers, any help appreciated.

Anonymous
27-02-02, 09:14 PM
1. dunno :D
2. 0.5mm or above oversized pistons can be bought
3. yup like u said and a rebore
4. t40s!!!

16v Engine fitting and advice... mail me for a quote :D

Anonymous
27-02-02, 11:24 PM
waist the valves and polish the exhaust but not the inlet. leave the inlet fairly rough and make sure you match the inlet and exhaust manifolds

Im a Corporate tart :D

Anonymous
28-02-02, 08:43 AM
1. Yes, any machine shop should be able to do it, but most wont because they know that it is a waste of time on modern engines unless you plan to rev above 8k and you have done every other mod possible. If you balance the crank and rods, you have to get the flywheel balanced with it all at the same time as they can all upset each other.

2. For your overbore, the machine shop will have pistons listed for 0.5mm larger, then after that he'll have to work it out. You cannot use oversized rings. No you do not have to have the head machined to match.

3. AS you and ste said.

4. After all that, twin 40's would be best, but with the mods you mention it'll be pretty usefull esppecially if you have the head done. If you go for 40's, get a rally cam instead, it work very well with 40's and doesn't run lumpy. The extra power is worth it, and they don't cost anymore.

If you can, get a professional to do the head. Get the inlets ported, and the outlets ported and polished. Increase the valve size for inlet and exhaust and waste down the stems of the inlet. Most important, match the head to your manifolds!

If you are in any doubt about the bottom end, get a pro to do it. You must be religously clean making sure no dirt ofr grit gets anywhere inside the engine, and make sure everything is torqued up and all components are well lubed. Make sure you run it up properly too.

Anonymous
28-02-02, 11:05 AM
skim the the head while your doing the ports

Anonymous
28-02-02, 11:43 AM
For the money to do all this, (i re-built my GTE lump, piston rings etc. it cost me ?160 just in parts, etc) why don't you just buy a GSI lump? colin smith has one for sale with loom, g.box etc. for ?100 out of a K reg. Then if you still wanted to lighten balance etc, you would have a lump sat in the garage to work on, and your car is still on the road in the meantime.

Anonymous
28-02-02, 11:30 PM
Whilst the engines out you could give it a bit of a clean like I did. Check it out at www.vpcc-western.com/novax and choose "engine rebuild" Also it's worth having a look at the links page

Nova-X

VauxMD - "Do it once, do it right!"