PDA

View Full Version : what to fit gsi skirts with

Dave.
07-06-07, 05:17 PM
ive got a set of gsi skirts.. dont want to start rivveting my sills for the clips.. so what ways can i hold them on withot the clips?

ive been told self tappers underneath and either double sided tape or tigerseal along the top?

any suggestions welcome
dave:thumb:

draper
07-06-07, 05:19 PM
i put my old ones on with self tappers and they were fine

Dave.
07-06-07, 05:20 PM
along the bottom? are they the tiny little things you use a hammer on?
lol not good with diy atall

Mike
07-06-07, 05:35 PM
self tappers are mini screws with a head on like that of a drill bit, hence they "tap" there own thread and make there own hole into the metal work :thumb:

Dave.
07-06-07, 05:41 PM
got you.. cheers

raymond
07-06-07, 05:53 PM
thats the exact way mine are held on mate and they are fine :thumb:

Dave.
07-06-07, 05:56 PM
ok.. are they the little 2cm long thin things that you sually use on skirting boards etc?

how many are used?

Mike
07-06-07, 06:04 PM
ok.. are they the little 2cm long thin things that you sually use on skirting boards etc?

how many are used?

no there nails chap :wtf:

Dave.
07-06-07, 06:19 PM
theyre tiny oles.. im sure theyle work.. what do they look like?

Mike
07-06-07, 07:13 PM
self tappers are:

http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50202460/Round_Head_Washer_Self_Tapping_and_Self_Drilling_S crew.jpg

NovaLad
07-06-07, 07:16 PM
Wurth - bond and seal

Lee
07-06-07, 07:16 PM
Nope, theyre not self tappers, theyre tec screws, although they are the best ones to use.

Mike
07-06-07, 07:29 PM
Nope, theyre not self tappers, theyre tec screws, although they are the best ones to use.

yeah thats the bunny :thumb:

ade
07-06-07, 07:37 PM
rivet them! Just make sure you seal the hole afterwards with a dab of sealer. As its under the car it wont be seen. A rivet is a really tight fit (providing you use the right drill size) so there wont be a problem re rust.

However the under side clips for the side skirts have special heads that allow a plastic cap to click the sils in place - you'll need to get these from vauxhall. cant remember the part number.

You could use tiger seal or similar bonding compound (NOT silicone sealant though) - will do the trick just as well - just need a dab on the part that touches the under side of the sill.

Dont tiger seal the side though (you can but its an **** lining it up and anchoring it) - best to rivet these.

plenty of guides about.

Ade

Martin
07-06-07, 07:42 PM
DONT screw them in and NOT seal them.. this is the reason i'm going to have to replace the sills on my nova cuz the numpty who used to own it did that

5 nice rusty holes

greg1.4
07-06-07, 08:21 PM
well am just using self tappers along the bottom and putting tiger seal along the top edge so they stick to the top of the sill. as when i bolt them on, they dont sit tight to the edge...

Mike
07-06-07, 08:24 PM
DONT screw them in and NOT seal them.. this is the reason i'm going to have to replace the sills on my nova cuz the numpty who used to own it did that

5 nice rusty holes

i never had that after 2 years :confused:

BTW, the skirt clips are 12p each, and there same as Corsa/Tigra/Cavalier/Calibra items :thumb:

Here (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74286&highlight=Part+Numbers) are the part numbers :thumb:

Martin
07-06-07, 08:34 PM
^^ tell that to my nova

Mike
07-06-07, 08:35 PM
Do you remove and clean behind your skirts when washing the car?

Martin
07-06-07, 09:32 PM
do i, no.. reason.. i ripped them off...

did he, no.. reason hes a tossser

dave.gsi
07-06-07, 09:42 PM
self tappers seems a bit of a bodge it job tbh

a quick fix yes but it will leave the holes liable to rust as any water getting in will be onto bare metal. the rivet/clips thing is the proper way to do it (hence why vaux did it) but you must make sure you paint/seal it or again rust could set in.plus its time consuming.

id go for some kind of bonding/sealer.
no holes = no rust

plus with the aid of a heat gun and a scraper they will be removable should the need arise

Mike
07-06-07, 09:43 PM
bodge or not dont bother me, as ive not got the car or the skirts anymore :D

~~joycey~~
08-06-07, 02:45 PM
blue tack? :thumb: