PDA

View Full Version : Final word on Brake Fitments?

Anonymous
26-02-02, 11:50 AM
Hi People
After my confusion with fitment of big brakes under 14" wheels, I have now ordered the 16v Conversion from Just Novas. They have assured me they will fit under my SR anthracite steel wheels as they are 5Jx14 49mm offset. Supposedly the GSi 3spokes have a different offset and std steel wheels are only 4.75J so they wont fit under them, but will on mine. Im getting them put on thursday so will report back - unless they dont fit cos I will be stuck at the garage going mental!
Cheers
Marko:-/

Anonymous
26-02-02, 01:20 PM
no they won't fit with out spacers

5jx14" 47.5mm offset 3 spokes (c reg or later)

5jx14" 49mm offset sri black steels

i had to use 3mm spacers and cut the pads down.... robs spider has a sri steel on it now and it is only clearing by 1mm and both pads are on the metal :D so with full meat pads no chance

p.s. it may be closer to fitting with 20mm disks

16v Engine fitting and advice... mail me for a quote :D

Anonymous
26-02-02, 03:58 PM
i agree no chance in hell there gona fit m8.

you didnt listen to us and ur gonna regret!

why do u think they changed the offset for the 236mm to clear, and now u think the 256mm are going to fit so easy?
lol

i hadto gring a fair bit off my calipers and use a 3mm spacers before they cleard by less than 1mm, i couldnt even slide a feeler gauge past them until the pads had worn down!

EXPECT BIG PROBLEMS

Anonymous
27-02-02, 10:27 AM
Oh no, what a f%$king nightmare. Ive just got the discs in from Just Novas, they are kinda big!
I was listening to you guys but got so many answers I got confused, and I specifically asked the Just Novas people and they said they would definetely fit.
Grinding the calipers sounds like a nightmare! What wheels do i need to clear them - 15" steels do ? Didnt the GTE 16v have 14" wheels as std? If I get 7mm spacers on my current wheels would that do? Feck Feck Feck.... x-(
Anyone got some really cheap wheels!
Also there is no spacer ring for the disk supplied, just novas said they will bolt straight on. Is this correct?? I thought the internal diameter of the discs was slightly larger too?
Cheers
Marko

Anonymous
27-02-02, 12:41 PM
i got 91 mk2 sr rims 14" and they fit fine 49mm offset

using cav sri discs(24mm ones) and new pads with no problems

Anonymous
27-02-02, 12:49 PM
"i got 91 mk2 sr rims 14" and they fit fine 49mm offset"

errrr with what disks??? 256mmx24mm ate?

i don't think so mate

Anonymous
27-02-02, 01:28 PM
You should be able to find some astra wide 14" steel wheels easily. If not the astra GTE turbine type alloys are 2 a penny and cheap. There is a advert on novatrader:

Loads of GTE Astra wide steel wheels and tyres in 14? sizes.

E-mail me at :

colin.smith@liverpool-victoria.co.uk

Or

colinesmith@netscapeonline.co.uk

I'd get onto just nova's and give them f**k for giving you incorrect advice & selling you something that wont fit.

Miles

Anonymous
27-02-02, 01:28 PM
You should be able to find some astra wide 14" steel wheels easily. If not the astra GTE turbine type alloys are 2 a penny and cheap. There is a advert on novatrader:

Loads of GTE Astra wide steel wheels and tyres in 14? sizes.

E-mail me at :

colin.smith@liverpool-victoria.co.uk

Or

colinesmith@netscapeonline.co.uk

I'd get onto just nova's and give them f**k for giving you incorrect advice & selling you something that wont fit.

Miles

Anonymous
27-02-02, 04:19 PM
Ive got Astra GTE 2.0 16v callipers and pads and they fit perfect under my 14" sri steelies. only a mm or so gap between wheel and calliper but still fits.

Anonymous
27-02-02, 07:10 PM
Hmmm seems we have conflicting views on this subject! After an initial look at the pads and discs against mine i can see they are a fair bit bigger! I cant really say much more on the subject so we'll see what happens when i get them fitted tomorrow (thursday). Ill be sure to report back!

Anonymous
27-02-02, 09:10 PM
well i tryed it with mine and it didn't fit rob has one on his now with no pads and dicko has his on now... so i think we are right

Anonymous
28-02-02, 10:04 AM
definately fit with mine
mk2 sr steels with crome ring ones
ate 256x24mm calipers/disks
NO PROBLEMS

also the wheels are being borrowed by a friend on his astra sport also using ate calipers 256x24mm discs without probs.

Anonymous
28-02-02, 11:08 AM
The early ATE Astra 16v calipers are bigger than the later GSi Astra and Cav ones. Don't know if that helps?