PDA

View Full Version : engine mount holes on block snapped! help

alan b
07-06-07, 01:46 AM
hey guys my x16xe has two of its driver side engine mount holes broken off, the car was crashed, anyway should i either build them up with weld drill them and tap them? i have a mig welder would that do or would i need arc? or make a braket to come off the power steering pump holes?
cheers lads.

burgo
07-06-07, 12:55 PM
i recon making a bracket to come of the power steering holes is your best option as you block is cast and therefore a **** to weld to

craig green
07-06-07, 01:13 PM
You would need to heat it right up with a oxy-acetylene & then weld. Pretty high stress point though, so a new block or a one off bracket using other bosses on the block is my recommendation. Shame!

pul16v
07-06-07, 07:15 PM
you can weld it but you would need an arc and use cast rods depends on which way you want to do it

Philsutton
07-06-07, 08:31 PM
why not just remove the bolts that are snapped in the block, drill them ect.. half the time they just come out anyway.

bump
07-06-07, 10:39 PM
why not just remove the bolts that are snapped in the block, drill them ect.. half the time they just come out anyway.

As I'm reading it, it's part of the block that has given way, not the bolts.

I'd use cast rods on it (arc) if I were to repair it. But realistically for the cost of replacement I'd go for that over repair.
Repairing a vice is one thing, a block is in another league.

Philsutton
07-06-07, 10:41 PM
ah i see, that is crap indeed

alan b
08-06-07, 01:02 AM
i no i should replace it guys but im doing this on a budget and i live in southern ireland and gsi corsas dont come round too often! ya theres a guy up the road who is a fabricator said he should be able to do it, he said hell use cast iron rods with an arc so hopefully thatl work!