PDA

View Full Version : re-shelling

Anonymous
19-02-02, 11:23 PM
If I was to re-shell my nova, with the majority of parts, i.e. engine, fuel and braking systems interior etc. coming from my GTE, would the car then take on the identity of my current car, or would I have to re-register it with a Q plate?

Anonymous
19-02-02, 11:54 PM
On the Registration Document, there's an option for filling in the new VIN/Chassis/Frame No. so basically, if you re-shell a car, that's what you're doing....you're fitting a new shell to your old car so it keeps it's old identity.

Personally, I think it's stupid when people say they've kept their car original apart from a re-shell.....lol
It's a different car for fucks sake!

Anonymous
20-02-02, 12:16 AM
they dont register q plates anymore.
so you definatly wont be given one of them.

Anonymous
20-02-02, 12:27 AM
u have to keep the id that came with the shell.... the bit on the v5 is only for brand new unregistered shells

16v Engine fitting and advice... mail me for a quote :D

Anonymous
20-02-02, 12:42 AM
ste.....how do re-shelled cars keep the old rego plate in that case?

I'm confused now :-/

Are you in fact having a new car and swapping the rego to it meaning that the old car is officially dead?

Anonymous
20-02-02, 01:04 AM
I read a few weeks ago in Max about it, funnily enough it was a guy with 2 novas, but not 100% sure of what they were prattling on about

Anonymous
20-02-02, 08:36 AM
a reshelled car that is shelled into a NEW unregistered shell can use the old cars id cause u are basicly fitting a new part..... if u are reshelling your car into a 2nd hand shell the shell keeps it's id

Anonymous
20-02-02, 08:38 AM
rich what cars do u know of with the old regs on new shells? (who have changed it on the v5)

Anonymous
20-02-02, 12:34 PM
all the old reg new shell old sheel new reg business is far to taxing for me.

i understood it as this...

if you buy a nova gte with nackered body and then buy a 1.2 with good body, you swap all the bits over from the gte into the 1.2.
Inform the powers that be of the engine and interior change etc etc and the car is then a gte, but still uses the plates from the 1.2...
UNLESS - as ste said, the shell is a brand spanker in which case you use the gte identification as its just a new part you added to your gte.

is that right?

the name is misleading - because i am not called wisewood.

Anonymous
20-02-02, 01:32 PM
year that's wot I've got from that too!

I mate did this new shell for his Mini 1275 GT Turbo blody quick.
Then sold it to get a house!

But I said you can't get over a ton outa a house!

Anonymous
20-02-02, 01:52 PM
I think this is correct:
If you were to buy a brand new shell and use (cant remember exact %) something like 75% brand new parts you could have a current (ie brand new ) reg number on the car....
Think thats right?

Anonymous
20-02-02, 04:56 PM
thats great.
brand new nova.

Anonymous
20-02-02, 06:51 PM
nope cause if u use 75% of the parts from one car it takes on the reg of that car..... eg a reshell into a new shell

Anonymous
20-02-02, 09:06 PM
But if you bought the 75% worth of the parts brand new then they wouldn't be from another car so it would have no reg to take on.

Anonymous
20-02-02, 10:07 PM
then it would be given an identity by the dvla roughly based on the spec youve bought the parts for. i.e if you built a mk1 it could be given anything between A and H reg.

Anonymous
21-02-02, 01:34 AM
I'm even more confused now :-/

In the past, I've seen in classic car magazines where peeps have re-shelled their cars (using old shells) and have retained their old rego-plates and still been able to claim that their car is the same model that it was originally, even if the replacement shell was from a different model.

Like for example, I remember seeing a MKII Lotus Cortina in classic ford which had had a re-shell using a shell from a de-Luxe but it was still classed as being a Lotus even though it was now really a modded de-Luxe.

See if I've got this right then......
.....if someone had an original Nova Sport but the body was shot, so they re-shelled it using a second hand shell, then it's no longer a Sport....right? It's now a 1.2L (or whatever the shell came from) with Sport mods?
BUT, if you used a NEW shell, would that then take on the original identity of the car and still be classed as a Sport?
What would happen about the official Sport Numbering.....would the new shell have it's own VIN or would it take the old VIN of the original Sport shell?

Right....I've talked myself into understanding this now. (I think lol).

Could you actually have a Nova with a current rego plate i.e. one that is brand new if you used ALL new parts from Vauxhall?

Anonymous
21-02-02, 09:08 AM
"But if you bought the 75% worth of the parts brand new then they wouldn't be from another car so it would have no reg to take on"

then it goes on a Q cause age unknown

"Like for example, I remember seeing a MKII Lotus Cortina in classic ford which had had a re-shell using a shell from a de-Luxe but it was still classed as being a Lotus even though it was now really a modded de-Luxe."

maybe lotus vin welded/bolted in?

"Could you actually have a Nova with a current rego plate i.e. one that is brand new if you used ALL new parts from Vauxhall?"

nope cause it would be age unknown so on a Q

Anonymous
21-02-02, 09:31 AM
thought they didnt do q plates anymore though...

and if you built the car entirely of new parts, from nothing to fully functional nova, then they would know the age - its a 2002 vauxhall nova. surely???

Anonymous
21-02-02, 02:01 PM
and... what year was the shell made???

Anonymous
22-02-02, 04:28 PM
I thought the reg plate was issued depending on when the car was first registered-not the age of it?

fuck knows.....lol

Anonymous
22-02-02, 05:29 PM
It does not matter what age any of the parts are, only that you can prove that they have never been fitted to an other car, must have all bills of purchase.

I know people who have built classic cars over year and years using all new parts and existing unregistered shells (yes un-registered, most manufactures put some shells into storage, it`s for legal reasons)The car was then give the reg for the year that it was finished in and road worthy, not a Q reg.

It`s big money but must be fun..

Anonymous
22-02-02, 07:15 PM
yeh a new shell..... there are no nova ones left

Anonymous
22-02-02, 07:45 PM
I've no doubt that Vauxhall/Opel/GM have kept engineering examples. Shells that is.

Anonymous
22-02-02, 07:45 PM
I've no doubt that Vauxhall/Opel/GM have kept engineering examples. Shells that is.

Anonymous
23-02-02, 02:26 PM
maybe lotus vin welded/bolted in?

But wouldn't that be illegal?

Surely you can't change the VIN on a shell to another one...not legally anyway?

Or can you if re-shelling so the car retains it's old identity?

Could you then swap the VIN of your new shell onto your old one and then register that as being scrapped?

Anonymous
23-02-02, 02:51 PM
lmao if the frame number is bolted on.... on minis the engine number is on a bolted on plate!!! u just unbolt it!!

Anonymous
27-02-02, 11:03 AM
Has anyone heard of unregistered/unsold Nova GSi's at GM's plant in Spain? Is it just a rumour?

Cheers

Anonymous
27-02-02, 01:08 PM
there might have been but i doubt they are there now.... and anyway being outside they would be fucked

Anonymous
28-02-02, 12:53 AM
Ive heard about the unregistered Novas in Spain but despite having a number of people making contact there, it seems to be a false rumour..

The shell business can be done a number of ways really depending on your own legal and moral issues..