PDA

View Full Version : Can you fit Mk2 bumpers to a Mk1?

limpstar
06-06-07, 06:58 PM
As title says...

I've just picked up a minter of a mk1 and want to begin styling it, n i think mk2 bumpers would look real nice on it and set it off - just wondered if anyone else has done it or knows of any worthwile threads to check out?

Cheers :D

Jack
06-06-07, 07:01 PM
You can fit them, but it won't look right - there will be big gaps under the headlights or the grille will sit at a ghey angle

Mike
06-06-07, 07:20 PM
DONT, as RJ said, itll end up looking gash

in answer to your title though, yes you can (but its a bodge tbh)

CLEMMY1
06-06-07, 07:20 PM
I had them on my mk1 and from far away they look great but get up close and as rj said there is big gaps under the headlights and will hang slightly slanted if you want pics of mine to see i can send you them or post them

JSeymour
06-06-07, 09:29 PM
mk1's can look just as good;)

if its standard, standard ride height, skinny wheels etc.. its not going to look all that good.

trust me, when i got my mk1 sr i felt a bit gutted about getting rid of the mk2 sr but now im realy pleased how it turned out.

pop up some pics, get some good advice:thumb:

Gaz1300SR
06-06-07, 09:31 PM
Rear bumper looks alright!

JSeymour
06-06-07, 09:56 PM
Rear bumper looks alright!

still needs modding though(clips on the side need changing over)

gte bumers are better anyway:p

limpstar
07-06-07, 12:07 PM
So basically, they can look good with a little work as to how they hang?

I'm not sure if people read it wrong and thought I put Mk1 bumpers on a Mk2 lol

JSeymour, do you have any pics of your end results?

Any other suggestions then people? I really ain't a fan of the bumpers that come with a bog standard mk1 - only reason i've got it is because of the low mileage and amazingly mint condition lol

Matt2107
07-06-07, 12:27 PM
You could always add a spliter to the existing front bumper.
It'll give it more depth.

Most people normally go for a GSI front and rear on a mk2 but its nice to be different.

Edit: Are you saying that your mk1 has the strip style bumper on the front?

Jack
07-06-07, 01:24 PM
As said, the grille gets in the way of the bumper, as it drops down lower than the bottom of the headlights. Mk1 bumpers have a recess in the top that the grille sits in, but the Mk2 doesn't - hence why you end up with either a) a big gap under the lights, b) no gap and a wonky front grille or c) no gap and a butchered front grille. Whichever way, it'll look ghey lol

Stick with a Mk1 SR/GTE bumper, or go proper retro and get a Mk1 Phase 1 SR front skirt or Zender front valance. I reeeeeaaally want one for my mk1 but nobody has one :(

craig green
07-06-07, 01:31 PM
Mk1 is the future!

JSeymour
07-06-07, 02:01 PM
JSeymour, do you have any pics of your end results?

yep http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/johnseymour/NOVALOTS008.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/johnseymour/NOVALOTS001.jpg

limpstar
09-06-07, 01:44 PM
Very nice!

Bet you've heard this a million times, but are those plates legit?

On my nova i've just got those strips of plastic for bumpers basically. I'll just see whats about and go from there. No harm in experimenting is there? lol

JSeymour
10-06-07, 10:37 AM
Very nice!

Bet you've heard this a million times, but are those plates legit?

On my nova i've just got those strips of plastic for bumpers basically. I'll just see whats about and go from there. No harm in experimenting is there? lol

thansk mate, there not lagit but how gives a toss:p

i know what your on about now(bumpers). sports look good with them as do some of the rally/race slag novas.

if you dont fancy that ^ gte items will go on there easy.

limpstar
10-06-07, 07:01 PM
Cool mate, thanks for the advice :)