PDA

View Full Version : Crankshaft oil seal

Anonymous
27-02-02, 12:06 AM
I've been told and read that to replace the crankshaft oil seal I have to remove the engine and gear box. Then I was also told that you can get to it through an inspection plate. Is this possible or am I left to do it the hard and expensive way?

Cheers

Anonymous
27-02-02, 01:37 AM
would say that it would be easiest to take the engine out.

Take a look at the Haynes and see what that says!

Anonymous
27-02-02, 09:08 AM
yup engine or box out..... i wouldn't like to take the flywheel bolts out through the inspection plate :O

16v Engine fitting and advice... mail me for a quote :D

Anonymous
27-02-02, 11:25 AM
If i remember correctly, haynes says you can change the oil seal with out removing the engine, but i bet you have to drop the gearbox though.
If you are running the close ratio box you can't get to it through the inspection plate anyway, the flywheel or clutch is bigger or something.. well, thats what haynes says for changing the clutch, i guess the oil seal would be the same.

Anonymous
27-02-02, 07:04 PM
i have to reaplace my rear crank seal too (when i can be arsed) but you need to take the engine out and take the fly off :)

easy. 3 hours job max if youve got the tools handy

Im a Corporate tart :D

Anonymous
27-02-02, 10:24 PM
leave the engine in. just drop the box off, this will make it easier to get to the clutch and fly.

Anonymous
27-02-02, 11:12 PM
I did this insitue on my 2ltr. I left the engine in place and pulled the box off. This is made easier by removing all the passanger side suspension. Rick

off for paint on the 25th!