PDA

View Full Version : Nova/Corsa 1.5TD Help

mark_mcd
05-06-07, 06:35 PM
Hi,

I am hoping some of you can help me out a bit. I am currently considering buying a Corsa 1.5TD as a summer hack/cheap runaround. I need some help however with suspension setups and specs to help me make a few 'tweaks'. Aiming for decent performance/? ratio.

So far I am considering the following (please feel free to comment) -

BRAKES: 2.0 Astra/Cav discs/calipers (with possible uprated pads), dot5.1 fluid.
ALLOYS: Set of OZ Superleggras or similar lightweight wheel or some OEM Vauxhall rims if I decide to go OEM+ (cheaper) route.
ENGINE: Boost up to around 1bar and fuel to suit, air filter/induction kit, decat exhaust. Intercooler?
SUSPENSION: I am completely lost!!! Rear ARB, strut braces, coilovers or not? Need help here.

I want the car to have a decent fast road setup. I haven't asked yet on the CorsaSport forums as it seems hard to tell who actually knows what they are talking about over there!

Can anyone recommend a decent suspension setup (no more than ?500 and less the better) for my needs? I want good handling with looks second. If this was a petrol Corsa then I think it would be much easier but I am unsure what to do with a heavy diesel engine up front. How heavy is the Isuzu engine compared to the petrol units?

Thanks in advance,
Mark :)

Welsh Dan
05-06-07, 06:40 PM
Bilstein uprated shocks, with the courteny valver springs?

Definately get uprated pads.

General Baxter
05-06-07, 06:47 PM
wont need air filter (run with out one & makes wikid noise lol), wont need intercooler (not running enough boost)

im running spax coil overs on the front of mine, if that helps lol

mark_mcd
05-06-07, 07:43 PM
I was considering the intercooler for a bit more power, a nice project :D and to allow me to up the boost a smidge more. I do not want to go boost crazy though as I want the engine to be reliable too (was thinking perhaps 1.2bar max with the intercooler).

The Spax coilovers - is that the RSX kit? How do you rate it?

Xen0phobiak - By 'valver' springs I presume you mean those used for a 2.0?

Thanks again

General Baxter
05-06-07, 07:57 PM
a 1.5 wont let you go any more then 1.2bar, as it has a built in 'blow of' saftey valve, if it goes passed set amount it dumps all the boost out this little hole, and you loose all power lol,

all tho you can over come this with a bit of tape, lol,

i would not go any more then 1.2bar tho tbh,

your ok to run boost to 1.2bar with out an IC,

rsx kit, do you like your spine? lol

mark_mcd
05-06-07, 08:09 PM
I thought the RSX was adjustable lol?

Yeah I've read about the safety valve thats where I got the limit from.

May I ask what intercooler you are using (have seen some of your old posts and it looks a good fit)? Have you tried one from a Frontera?

What exhaust are you using? Would a decat produce any gain?

General Baxter
05-06-07, 08:13 PM
diesels did not come with cats, only 1997 an on!,
yes rsx are adjustable but there still solid,
im using a saab 900 intercooler, it looks like its off a truck tbh lol
http://www.streetrace.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5171&d=1176128186
im using a 2.5" custom stright through pipe with 3" silencer!

26psi, no idea what bar that is, but mines special lol

mark_mcd
05-06-07, 08:18 PM
Good point never considered there would be not cat!

I'll bear in mind what you set about the Spax kit! Have you tried any other setups?

Welsh Dan
05-06-07, 10:39 PM
Xen0phobiak - By 'valver' springs I presume you mean those used for a 2.0?

Thanks again

Yes. You could also try corsa/combo td springs if you're trying to spend the budget elsewhere? They would be stiffer, but with a higher ride height, as the corsa and combo are heavier than the nova. Someone will correct me if the combo ones won't fit :).

mark_mcd
07-06-07, 04:21 PM
im using a saab 900 intercooler, it looks like its off a truck tbh lol

26psi, no idea what bar that is, but mines special lol

1.8bar :eek:

How much did it cost you for the intercooler and to plum it in? Any install pics?

General Baxter
07-06-07, 05:55 PM
my intercooler was ?10 from a scrappy, cost about ?130 to connect it all up

mark_mcd
08-06-07, 11:37 AM
my intercooler was ?10 from a scrappy, cost about ?130 to connect it all up

Can you get me any pics of it installed? I presume the extra cost was just hoses?

Cheers,
Mark