PDA

View Full Version : amps "hovering" how/where can i get it fixed

bigbened
05-06-07, 04:30 PM
right my amps been faulty ever since i bought it but they refused it was broken, it just buggung me as i want it to work properly. The amp runs my sub but when the system is switched on the sub moves out slightly (well about half way of chat it can move out) and then plays. I have now used three subs on this amp and it has happend to all of them

the bass is obviously not as good as it should be because the sub can not move fully. I have been told that this is called hovering?, just want to know what the problem is or where i can get this fixed

cheers beno

bump
05-06-07, 06:38 PM
What amp is it? Could be a multitude of causes, what it sounds to be is that the amp is giving a positive drive current at a zero singnal imput as opposed to being a zero drive with zero signal.

coombsey
05-06-07, 10:44 PM
is your earth any good on it

bigbened
05-06-07, 10:46 PM
it is a legacy (LA2060) 2000w max power amp running bridged onto an in phase 15" sub (1800W max 900W RMS)

the earth is top notch bolted to the car, all abraided metal on metal (have tried changing the earth too)

bump
06-06-07, 06:27 PM
I'll have a look to see if I can find any schematics for it. As a rough estimate I'd say that the gate is failing on one of the mosfet transistors that is feeding the output transformer. More will become apparent if I can find a schematic.

bigbened
06-06-07, 10:38 PM
Are we talking transistors, because if so i might be able to change it, thanks for the help if you could tell me where it was fron the schematic youd be a geneous mate

bump
06-06-07, 11:43 PM
Still looking for a schematic at the min, but yep we are talking transistors. I'll update as soon as I find anything.

bigbened
07-06-07, 07:07 AM
ok mate am i right in thinking it will be using up more power like this because it gets tot quite quickly

philly
07-06-07, 03:28 PM
did you buy it from this place?

if so they should take it back and exchange it, as it will not cost them anything.

try a different amp too just to see.

if the amp is getting hot to it needs to be moved as it needs to be kept cool. if it has a inbuilt fan it will be blocked

bigbened
07-06-07, 04:37 PM
the amp is only getting hot because of the fault in it, i have known this amp and sub to work before.

i did take it back but he tested it and fobbed me off, anyway after not being able to get to the shop and stuff i decided i couldent be ****d to do anything about it

oh it was caraudiocentre by the way

philly
07-06-07, 07:36 PM
caraudiocentre are a joke! we use them sometimes but always have problems.

they should definately take it back as we have done it loads with there faulty sevic gear.

one way to do this is buy a new one and send back the older one as faulty lol

ill try an find out about this at the one we use too becasue it could be they have sold u some second hand products under the counter so to speak an this is why they are fobbing you off.

how long have you had it.

if you have had it for over 12months that could be why they are not doing anything about it

bigbened
07-06-07, 10:53 PM
i have had it more than twelve months now but when i took it back to them it was only about 3 weeks old

and yes they really are crap

bigbened
12-06-07, 01:45 PM
anyone?

bump
12-06-07, 04:28 PM
Still haven't found a schematic. Is there nothing in the manual that you can scan?

bigbened
12-06-07, 05:08 PM
nope nothing

philly
12-06-07, 05:14 PM
you tried emailing or phoning legacy them selves.

bigbened
12-06-07, 05:49 PM
yep ive tried emailing them, but i dont know of any dealers in england, im not phoning america lol