PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox input shaft

Welsh Dan
05-06-07, 01:01 PM
Haynes says there should be a threaded lug in the end of the gearbox that I can remove in order to gain access to pull the input shaft out, however this is what I'm looking at:
http://www.xen0phobiak.f2s.com/novaload/endplate.jpg.

Can I just remove the end-plate and carry on from there? Will I need to drain the rest of the fluid out first?

Cheers.

Chris
05-06-07, 02:15 PM
take the end plate off first.

Did you not read the Haynes correctly?

Chris
05-06-07, 02:16 PM
infact after thinking about that, I have a funny feeling that some gearboxes might have had access to the input shaft without removing the end cover. Not sure, but you will have to take the cover off

Welsh Dan
05-06-07, 02:54 PM
The 4-speed I took off had a large nut that I removed to get access to the input shaft, I had to take the end cover off this one.

wisewood
05-06-07, 03:16 PM
sounds like some typical random vauxhallness.

Adam
05-06-07, 08:37 PM
4spds have the threaded plug, 5 dont.
Remove the end plate, bolt, circlip, and then you need a m7 thread to pull the shaft out.

Not sure what your doing,but if your removing the box you dont need do the input shaft.

Welsh Dan
05-06-07, 10:37 PM
Box is allready off, I was trying to get it back on, and failed lol. I'll have another go on the weekend with some extra hands :).

R1CH
05-06-07, 10:43 PM
Aye, you don't need to remove the input shaft to get the box back on, it is doable by yourself, manged to lift a gear box back on the sisters Corsa Sport by myself but deffo easier with 2 people !!

Rich

Welsh Dan
05-06-07, 10:53 PM
The gear linkage kept fouling the block however I went about it lol. Do you have any tips for doing it solo, what was your method? The car is already up on axle stands, the engine is supported by a trolley jack, and I have another trolley jack sat spare at the moment.

R1CH
05-06-07, 10:58 PM
Remove the rear mount & linkage to start with, the car was up on stands with a jack supporting the engine, had the box sitting on the ground, my hoist was boxed in the garage so i was getting p*ssed off trying to lift it up on to the engine by hand, was leaning over the passenger side wing reacing down into the bay, think i just managed to lift it up out of rage !!!! had a fair sweat on afterwards !!
I'm not exactly the biggest person in the world either !!
lol

Adam
05-06-07, 10:59 PM
You have to "wiggle" the box to get the input shaft through the clutch disc.

Welsh Dan
05-06-07, 11:04 PM
Thanks guys. The input shaft is free at the moment, I couldnt get the bolt out of it, but in a moment of 'brilliance' (lol) I just pushed it through from the other side after I removed the circlip. (I got the wierd tool thingy and used it to remove the bolt from the 4-speed box, but I cant quite get it to fit in the 5-speed one, but it looks like I'll manage that bit once the box is on).

Welsh Dan
10-06-07, 06:02 PM
The box is on :D. However the end plate is leaking transmission fluid, am I likely to be able to find a new gasket or should I just get some Wynnes instant gasket or similar?

Adam
10-06-07, 06:02 PM
Ebay have new gaskets.

Welsh Dan
11-06-07, 12:35 AM