PDA

View Full Version : Quick(ish) question

Jim Mcrae
05-06-07, 12:58 PM
If i am insuring a car online, do i insure it as an SR if its had an SR converion, or do i have to ring up and explain the situation. If the cars details have been changed with the DVLA will this be okay just to insure tell thewebite its an SR?? Or will the registration number give issues saying its still a merit? Cheers.
Got a quote with quinn for 792 for an 18 YO on an SR, didnt let me count my moped no claims on line also, will my named driver no claims that you apparently get with direct line be acceptable??
Cheers jim

Jack
05-06-07, 01:12 PM
Quick-ish answer: no lol

Ok, you'll need to let them know its been rebuilt as an SR - insurance definition of modified is essentially anything different to the spec the original car left the factory with - even if you use all OEM SR parts and completely rebuild a merit into an SR, including re-registering it with DVLA as an SR, its still "modified" as its now a different spec to how it left the factory.

Named driver NCB: chances are they won't honour that, but some companies offer a discount for being a second driver on another policy, or having a business car. Won't be as much as primary-driver NCB, but worth a mention. Your scootay NCB should net you a small discount too.

Give them a ring and hassle them. Despite what all the adverts about discount for buying insurance online say, you're far more likely to get a better deal if you ring up and speak to someone as more often than not you can barter a better deal. You can also ensure all your modifications are clarified and listed on the policy (make a note of the call date and time, and who you spoke to if possible, in case they argue the toss later on) :D

draper
05-06-07, 01:13 PM
dont even bother with on-line quotes if its modified imho theres to much scope to go wrong

if you have a years no-claims ive heard greenlight come highly recomended for modified vauxhalls

Jim Mcrae
05-06-07, 01:15 PM
Sweet, any sugestions for half decent companies for when it comes to young drivers. I dont think (iirc) that direct line nor quinn like 'modified' cars

Cheers jim

EDIT! Cheers draper!

Jack
05-06-07, 01:53 PM
Also Admiral/Elephant, but not sure what they're like for young drivers.

Jim Mcrae
11-06-07, 02:56 PM
dont even bother with on-line quotes if its modified imho theres to much scope to go wrong

if you have a years no-claims ive heard greenlight come highly recomended for modified vauxhalls

I need to be 21:cry: