PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed

Jim Mcrae
05-06-07, 11:28 AM
I have recently stripped out my nove, it's currently a 1200 carb'd merit. I would like an engine coversion in favour of something a bit more on the potent side. I'll be 18 in a couple of weeks and, touch wood, have 2 years no claims by then and a pass plus so anything that i could insure would be considered. Ideally i want something that is not to hard to fit, that will give better performance and keep the handeling to its best. Was thining either a 1300 or 1400 SR engine. Something thats tunable too would be great. Apparently s mate of a mate is a bit of a pro when it comes to bike carbs, so might be able to get some at a good price.

In a nut shell, best engine for all round performance for an 18YO.

Many thanks, Jim

coochiSR
05-06-07, 11:30 AM
You might be able to get away with GSI or GTE engine but i'd personally go for a 1400SR, as there really simple to work on and reasonably easy to tune. And they would be alot easier to convert than an Injection engine.

draper
05-06-07, 11:33 AM
agreed, altho if your going bike carbs i think youll need an injection tank

Jim Mcrae
05-06-07, 12:04 PM
Also, what what i need to about the brakes. Just had mine replaced, seems a shame to replace them so soon, will i need completely new brakes all round as i suspenct i will. Cheers

coochiSR
05-06-07, 12:06 PM
Depends what engine you go for matey, i'd go for some 2.0l 16v brakes, IF you can fit them under wheels

Jim Mcrae
05-06-07, 12:13 PM
i have 15" smiths at the moment so brakes shouldnt be an issue
should i leave standard drums??
will the brakes just go on, my mechanic doesnt think they will, says i will need hubs ect.... Cheeers for your help, greatly appreciated, Jim

draper
05-06-07, 12:19 PM
yeah 2ltr calipers bolt straight on mate, leave drums at the back as disc tend to lock up with messing about with bias, and the rears onlt do prob 10-20% of the braking anyway

coochiSR
05-06-07, 12:22 PM
Agreed, Draper is spot on atm!

Jim Mcrae
05-06-07, 12:24 PM
cheers lads!