PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on brakes

Anonymous
23-02-02, 10:14 AM
Hi people
My current braking system is standard and knackered, i need new discs, pads and calipers.
I was going to get a 256mm vented disc conversion from courtenay or www.tuning.co.uk but with EBC pads Ill be looking at ?200+. Does anyone know if this can be done cheaper? I am sure the calipers and discs supplied will just be from the vauxhall parts bin. I dont want to rummage around a breakers though, i want all new stuff.
P.S I have 14" standard SR steel wheels on a 91 1.4SR, and know that I can only go so big without clearance problems, but how big?
Any help/advice would be much appreciated
Marko

Anonymous
23-02-02, 11:08 AM
the stuff that u get will just be reconn stuff not new

u are better off finding good 2nd hand items

and no the 256 will not fit under ur wheels with out 3mm spacers (i take it by steels u mean black sri steels)

16v Engine fitting and advice... mail me for a quote :D

Anonymous
23-02-02, 01:45 PM
i think the best brake upgrade you could hope for would b a set of GSI/SRi callipers and a GSI/SRI brake servo. this would improve your handling no end :)

Let me know if u need any of these parts!!!

Anonymous
23-02-02, 02:05 PM
Does anyone know where I can get proper spacers and longer studs if reqd? Also what advantage is their in upgrading my brake servo? will it not be the same as on the sri?
I have been told the 256mm conversion uses std pads with the new calipers, does this mean the calipers are just off a cav or something, as i am sure the cavs used the same type of pads?
Thanks again
Marko

Anonymous
23-02-02, 02:31 PM
You shouldnt need longer wheel bolts for a 3mm spacer, but if you want to get them, Demon Tweaks sell them for about ?1.50 per bolt, and you can get pretty much any length you want..
The conversion does use the same pads, but a slightly different caliper and larger disks.

:D Twin 40's on the way :D

Anonymous
23-02-02, 02:49 PM
3mm or 7mm spacers from tweeks..... fit it all together and test it with washers for fit... then u know what thickness u need (DON'T DRIVE IT WITH WASHERS DOING THE SPACING)

16v Engine fitting and advice... mail me for a quote :D

Anonymous
23-02-02, 04:54 PM
cheers guys:-)

Anonymous
23-02-02, 07:05 PM
u said u had a 1.4sr, then u said 'will it not be the same as on the sri? '
so do u have an sr/sri, cuz the sri servo does give much better performance

Anonymous
23-02-02, 09:36 PM
im pretty sure the SRi has the same brakes as the GSI

Im a Corporate tart :D

Anonymous
24-02-02, 08:10 PM
has smae servo not sure about caliper/pads etc..

Anonymous
24-02-02, 10:02 PM
it has the same calipers and servo

http://www.novabug.co.uk/FeatureCars/Jatinder.html