PDA

View Full Version : official LLandlow thread

draper
01-06-07, 02:08 AM
right then, bearing in mind this is my first track day - im interested what everyone is doing this weekend ???

im planning on taking the fiance out over the weekend, and then i was thinking meeting up on the sat/sun night to talk things through ?? go through the circuit/meet the more hardcore track people ??

from my point of view, im gonna be imtimdated by everyone because your all track day warriors, and im a newbie, BUT im hoping thats the point, for everyone to pass there experience on to us newbies :D i want to go out with dar, and BT etc or have you sit in with me for my first laps

i really am looking forward to this day becasuse i want expericenced people to come out with me and teach me

NovaLad
01-06-07, 02:27 AM
EDITED****

I want to go out with dar, and BT and have them sit me firm on their laps.

I really am looking forward to this day because i want to experience dar, and BT teaching me a lesson.

Ernie
01-06-07, 06:48 AM
I went last year as a propper track day virgin and it was a great laugh. There is a track breafing at the start of the day then everybody is led out for a few laps behind a pace car. My advice would be to listen to what the marshals have to say take it all in then start out slow.
Have a good 1 but keep an eye out for the quicker cars and all you have to do is ask people for any advice or for trip out on what is a good track and a very well run 1.
See you track side soon.

Stuart
01-06-07, 07:27 AM
all i did at llandow was a few laps in dans car, a few in russ's then nicked the dans keys while he was distracted with food or something and went for a thrash round. It was good fun to do at my own pace, and gave BT a cheap thrill thinking he managed to pass dan lmao.

craig green
01-06-07, 09:44 AM
How I wish my car was going to be ready for this!

I think if you approach it with a level head & go about it in a mature manner you cant fail to have fun.

So long as you obey the flags, drive smoothly- by picking good lines etc & not get in the way of anyone faster than you, it should be an awesome experience.

Just make sure the car is tip top, to avoid disappointment on the day.

Jim
01-06-07, 09:49 AM
There is no need to be intimidated by it. I've not done a track day either, but I've got plenty of driving experience. Im going to be crawling round for the first few laps till I get confident with the car and the circuit. I'm not bothered if people come tearing past me. I've spent too much money on the car to want to risk going off because I must keep up with others.

Just take it at your leisure, make the most of it, but mainly enjoy it.

Ernie
01-06-07, 09:53 AM
Good point jim as there aint much run off space at llandow.
Sunny llandow last year.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/chunny01/med_gallery_131_16_56507.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/chunny01/med_gallery_131_16_66317.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/chunny01/med_gallery_131_16_25328-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/chunny01/med_gallery_131_16_55327.jpg

Dar
01-06-07, 02:35 PM
Draper, I don't mind taking you out in mine and also going out in yours.
Here is vid of mine from last time we where at Llandow (http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-7743314563341118349&q=banzaiundersteer)
Its just a fun day so no need to feel itimidated at all.

Paul
01-06-07, 02:49 PM
itll be my first time too! hoping to get a few pointers from bt, dar. maybe even a ride in one of yours? etc etc

Ernie
01-06-07, 02:50 PM
i got see me in that vid for a hole 5 corners.

Lee
01-06-07, 03:48 PM
Draper, I don't mind taking you out in mine and also going out in yours.
Here is vid of mine from last time we where at Llandow (http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-7743314563341118349&q=banzaiundersteer)
Its just a fun day so no need to feel itimidated at all.

I owned you LMFAO!

Im happy to sit in with anyone who wants to have a few pointers at the start of that day, as well as taking people out. Thats what its all about after all. I recommend a sit in with Dan as well, he'll show all you poor sods with tiny engines how to get arouind there quickly lol

Dar
01-06-07, 04:03 PM
I owned you LMFAO!
I had Dave in the carlol
You should have pulled away alot faster than that. Your car 'had' more power and better tyres.

Lee
01-06-07, 04:06 PM
..But no LSD.

TBH it either demonstrated how good a diff is seeing as you were keeping up on bald remoulds, or how good the 888's are at compensating for uber inside wheel spinnage lol.

Dar
01-06-07, 04:08 PM
Just proves how good the R888's are and that you don't need a diff if your tyres won't lose traction easily.

Geth
01-06-07, 06:09 PM
Defintely agree that there is nothing to be intimidated about. Llandow last year was my first event and I loved it. The marshals will give you some pointers on the more technical corners during the briefing which should help get you up to a decent speed pretty quickly. Don't worry about people being faster and overtaking you because generaly people like Dan, Dar, BT etc are experianced enough to know when it's safe to overtake, and we all know that newbies will be on a steep learning curve.

Having someone like Dar in the car with you for a few laps will definately help, something I wish I was able to benefit from during my karting years.

I'm getting really excited about it now, can't wait to try out the new carbs and Avo Coilovers as I was definately lacking some power and handling ability last year. V V lol
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/chunny01/llandowpics069.jpg

Dan
01-06-07, 06:14 PM
I dont mind taking the odd person around, but experience isnt one of my specials lol. A few have been suprised to find Llandow last year was only my 4th trackday spaced over 3 years. Its amazing what you can do when you put a gibbon behind the wheel lol lol.

The key as has been said is to treat it with a level head and respect for the track. imo alot of it is understanding driving lines and having confidence/knowing whats possible in your car (and some of that can only come from learning out on track). Thats about all i have going for me along with a couple more years driving experience over a few of you, well that and the fact of where i have lived all my life and learnt to drive lol .(those who know the forest where i live will understand lol)

Lee
01-06-07, 06:43 PM
Agreed, driving on track isnt some big skill you need to learn before you can have fun, you will probaby find that you will be nervous before your actually out there, and then suddenly when you drive onto the circuit, you will instantly feel at home, as you will know your car (as said, to an extent), and realise how much room you have to play with compared to a normal B road etc..

The trick is to build up gradually, dont go nuts out straight away, as this normally either leads to falling off the circuit, or not realising just how fast your going when your brakes that normally stopped you on a B road at 60, wont play ball when your trying to bring the car down from 80 for the 8th time in quick succession.

Ultimately, its about learning your, and your cars limits, and as dan said, you will probably already have a good idea of your cars limit in a road going scenario, so its just a case of bringing those skills accross, and mostly, having fun!

And as has been said god knows how many times, it is NOT a race. Therefore, there is no need to break your pride and joy trying to go as fast as humanely possible. Have fun is the main objective!

Its only when youve been doing it for donkeys you start trying to keep up with people, as I have with Dar since I got into Nova's lol. But even then, im not racing him, mostly im challenging myself to step up to his and his cars level. There's a difference.

Lee
01-06-07, 06:52 PM
Oh yeah, and just another small piece of advice.

if your running EBC greenstuff pads, change them before the day, My first time at llandow I had them in and they literally dissintegrated after a small time of them actually being on fire lol

Dar
01-06-07, 06:52 PM
Also if I catch you up and am behind you through some bends. Don't worry about it and drive as you normally would because you WILL be on film :D

One thing alot of new people do is jump out of the way of quicker cars and slow down. To be fair all you have to do is just pull over to the right and maintain your normal speed. If the faster car can't keep up with you on the straights but is alot faster in the bends then just let off a bit to let them past. Its all common sense really:thumb:

nova---chris
01-06-07, 07:26 PM
Ultimatley its all fun and a opertunity to meet people and see there cars ect.
If the day goes as well as the last one im sure it will be just fine.

I agree with the above statements. just remember to use common sense. thats the main thing. Good little track for any new comers amongst us.

As for racing and testing yourself im pretty much useless. but that dosent stop me having a go. i was the first to take out the cones at the bustop a few years back lol! out braking meself. but i did learn when not to brake at least! lol!!!

:) :thumb: