PDA

View Full Version : chris astly platin kit question

s14a
31-05-07, 11:52 PM
alrite lads need some help..

got a 14 piece platin kit for my nova, its gettin a 1.6 turbo engine fitted so iv being advised to get it fitted even though there no rust in my engine at all...

my question is that it appears my novadose skirts will have to come off to fit 2 plates..which plates can be left off or do you need to fit them all..

also some nutter said id have to take my dash out will fittin it as the heat of the weld could damage it:eek: i take it thats ****??

also roughly how long to fit it

cheers lads without ye id be fcukd:thumb:

Philsutton
01-06-07, 12:05 AM
The plating kits are over kill imo, my corsa has no plating on it

Lanky
01-06-07, 12:17 AM
I only seam and stitchwelded the bay of mine and its fine! i too think the kits are over the top and a good bit of welding will see you right!

Lanky!

s14a
01-06-07, 12:36 AM
could you explain seam and stick welding, what exactly is involved??
i was told running big power and breaks would pull the front of the car apart by 2 lads that have seen what happens without them?? eg crossmembers coming away from the body with hard drivin??

Philsutton
01-06-07, 12:37 AM
yes but you weld the seams together an that stops them coming apart, basically just seam / stitch weld all theseams in the engine bay.

s14a
01-06-07, 01:33 AM
yes but you weld the seams together an that stops them coming apart, basically just seam / stitch weld all theseams in the engine bay.

so thus doin away with the need for a platin kit?
is this a dear job??

Lanky
01-06-07, 01:47 AM
it depends.. i did mine myself so i am clueless as to how much someone would charge... sorry mate!

Lanky!

s14a
01-06-07, 12:18 PM
cheers lads..

any1 else got opinions?? why do lads bother with the kit then?

BIGS
01-06-07, 12:29 PM
Ive bought one for mine and currently welding it into place. What the lads have said already is right. but for the sake of 50 pounds i thought i might aswell do it as its got to do something to make the shell more stiff.

s14a
01-06-07, 12:37 PM
how long do you think it will take you? are you fittin all the plates or just the engine bay 1s??

craig green
01-06-07, 01:35 PM
I went from a stitch welded shell to adding the HH plate kit & I can say from my experience that the shell feels taughter & the steering response is better amongst other things.

Its not totally necessary I agree but Novas arent exactly overbuilt & the biggest engine in mind for the shell when they were designed was a 1.3!

You can see what the plates do for the shell when you jack up a plated car.

BIGS
01-06-07, 05:53 PM
how long do you think it will take you? are you fittin all the plates or just the engine bay 1s??

Im going to be fitting all the plates, But i dont know how long it will take as ive got to grind down alot of weld before i carry on.

coombsey
01-06-07, 06:06 PM
im getting mine just seam welderbut im getting it done for free dunno how much it would cost

s14a
01-06-07, 06:10 PM
I went from a stitch welded shell to adding the HH plate kit & I can say from my experience that the shell feels taughter & the steering response is better amongst other things.

Its not totally necessary I agree but Novas arent exactly overbuilt & the biggest engine in mind for the shell when they were designed was a 1.3!

You can see what the plates do for the shell when you jack up a plated car.

so stickweld it and plate it then??
cheers