PDA

View Full Version : Roll cage advice please.

Anonymous
21-02-02, 02:55 AM
I really do want to get a roll cage, but up to now i have eliminated any aproaved ones as they are all made with steel which i thought would be to heavy.

Material - 38mmx2.5mm cold drawn seamless steel tube (CDS2)
Rear Cage - fixed diagonal ?105.

This includes a fitting kit by the way.

So what i want to know is would this be heavier than my back seats and all trim? And would i be able to keep a false floor in the back with a cage?
If a false floor could not be kept then what could i use to cover the floor as i have just (stupidly) covered the floor in a horible looking sound deadening material and dont wont to spend hours and hours picking it all off!

HLEP!!!????!!!

As the above price seems a little cheap to me, i have emailed the place for a deffinate price, and will advise when i recieve a reply.

Cheers Paul

Anonymous
21-02-02, 09:05 AM
lmao u are trying to loose weight.... but u wanna fit a cage???

16v Engine fitting and advice... mail me for a quote :D

Anonymous
22-02-02, 03:03 PM
no, he wants to fit a cage, but doesn't want it to be heavier than it is at the moment.

:D:D 2.0l 8v. It actually works !!!! :D:D

Anonymous
22-02-02, 04:11 PM
i wanta cage, but can u not get lighter ones, ie notmade of steel, or aer we talkin serious titanium type money here!!??!! and does anyone actually know if u do remove your seats.but fit a false floor and cage if it even becomes heavyer!!?!

Anonymous
23-02-02, 01:44 AM
I weighed everything when I stripped mine out (rear seats, carpets, rear seat belts etc left the rear tail gate as it was) It weighed 44 kgs.
Roll cages do increase the weight varying depending on want you fit ie half or full or utter nutter bastard rally. The weight gain is a prob but apart from the security they also offer improved handling due to their chassis stiffening properties.
Material weights depend on size of tube, gauge of tube and the material its made of. The best would be aluminium based but would be the weakest. CDS (mild steel) is the most common compromise so i've been told for strength and cost effectiveness.
If you worried about weight and not doing motorsport put in a half cage with front and back turret braces and forget false floors. If you want to look good and not doing motorsport forget about the weight issue and put in the cage that takes your fancy.

You are right-?105 does sound cheap!!