PDA

View Full Version : To track or not to track....

Ash C
30-05-07, 06:30 AM
rite, my car should be back from been set up on the rollers by saturday and theres a track day at elvington (near york) on the saturday.

only problem is it'll be my first one and its an open pit lane day. but ive been reading and it says its best to do a sessions day on your first day so you can go in the novices class and get used to it.

what does everyone think should i or shouldn't i? plus this is pretty close to me, 45 mins away. i'm very tempted!!!

Ash

Driver
30-05-07, 06:54 AM
DOO IT, just becasue its a track day doeasnt meen you have to push the limits

take it steady and build your speed up over the day

Stuart
30-05-07, 07:46 AM
everyone has to start somewhere..... meh if you go "slower than others" i bet tehy went slower than they do now on their first day out.....

gazz
30-05-07, 08:43 AM
as stuart says really everyone has to start off somewhere.why not do it while you got the chance.
pop the track cherry...:thumb:

Will F
30-05-07, 09:05 AM
I would deffo do it! I have gone to a track day with the car 80% finished (Totally safe!!) and loved it!

You will end up pushing it though!lol

Will F
30-05-07, 09:05 AM
I would deffo do it! I have gone to a track day with the car 80% finished (Totally safe!!) and loved it!

You will end up pushing it though!lol

craig green
30-05-07, 09:13 AM
All the above reasons + having it fairly close to you is a bonus.

Dar
30-05-07, 09:55 AM
Do it and have some fun :D
With an open pit you can also pick a quite time to go out first time. Just remember its not a race and to keep an eye on your mirrors. Be cautious around other cars because idiots also do these days.

and one final thing from me, remember slow in and fast out of every corner. Its much better to break early and get all your gear changes done and the car setup for the corner than to break late and try to make it around.

...Have fun :D

srs1
30-05-07, 10:12 AM
as said above.

my first track day was an open pit one too.
just did what dar said. chose my time to go out and drove to what i was happy with.

craig green
30-05-07, 11:16 AM
Aye. Driving within your (& cars) limits & being adult enough to allow faster cars to pass at the first sign of slowing them down is the way to do it.

Follow the above & learn the flags. You cant go wrong.

essexgte
30-05-07, 11:26 AM
Remember it's way safer to drive your car at speed or near the limits on a track compared with a road.

No street furniture or doddery old drivers to hit / avoid in the event of you losing it.

You have more run off, everyone is travelling in the same direction & no old bill or speed cameras to look out for, so you can concentrate on going fowards.

Plus an open pitlane is the best way to go, you can take it real easy for as many laps as you want increasing your speed & changing your lines with more laps experience gained.

Sessions tend to box you into doing what the organisers want you to do in terms of session time etc.

With open pit, you can choose when you go out & for how long depending on what others cars are out there or how busy it is at that moment.

DO IT!

Just remember your tyres will get mullered especially if they are road treads.

craig green
30-05-07, 11:30 AM
And your brakes might 'go off' before you want the time out to end.

essexgte
30-05-07, 11:33 AM
Good additional point there CG.

Don't forget to take plenty of top up oil with you as well, all day at 7k your engine will burn more, alot more...

draper
30-05-07, 12:49 PM
just bloody get on with it lol

Ash C
30-05-07, 06:08 PM
Cheers for all the advise, just been to see if the cars going to be defanetly ready and it is so i'm going to book it! going to be a busy weekend pvs and a track day lol

Ernie
30-05-07, 11:45 PM
Go for it and have a laugh. You will go again as it is very addictive.