PDA

View Full Version : Welding

muzzy
29-05-07, 06:31 PM
How much hassle will it be to weld up the following parts on my nova?

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d80/Garthdee-Muzzy/PICT0273.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d80/Garthdee-Muzzy/PICT0274.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d80/Garthdee-Muzzy/PICT0275.jpg

olix99
29-05-07, 06:37 PM
with a few bits unbolted for access, strip the small areas of paint off to weld to bare metal.

prime the welds in the primer of your choice, some people like red oxide - some dont.

spray it with body colour.

job done. The welding itself doesnt look too hard if your handy with a welder, might get away with just welding although plates may need to be made up.

oh and of course get rid of all the rust before you do the welding lol

:thumb:

muzzy
29-05-07, 06:39 PM
i was planning on plating it because its quite alot of rust. what a ******* it is since the rest of the car is mint

olix99
29-05-07, 06:40 PM
yeah :(, it only LOOKS mild at the moment though. better to sort it out now before it gets worse and keep it mint :thumb:

muzzy
29-05-07, 06:41 PM
i thought it looked quite bad actually lol pictures make it look worse than it is id say

its from when it was crashed last year nobody who had it bothered to sort it out and its ended up like this

Adam
29-05-07, 06:45 PM
Poke at it and grind it, and see how big the rust becomes then.
It usually looks like that, then turns out to be 6" long and 2" wide.

muzzy
29-05-07, 06:47 PM
im going to wait till the mot is out end of the month take the engine out and sort the whole bay out me thinks

olix99
29-05-07, 06:49 PM
lol thats true LLTN

give it a bash with a screw driver and give it a grind - then see how big it is lol

looks like its deffinately going to need plating up though

could be a git to do with the engine in place.

lol beat me to it muzzy :thumb:

mikey14sr
29-05-07, 07:08 PM
Chassis leg will need a new piece making up to replace the top of it, drivers side inner wing will want trimming and a new section puttting in, and the battery tray could need anything from a strip across the top, to fully replacing possibly with a section of bulkhead. Also looks like the upper front panel could do with replacing (can see the grotty corner of it in the first pic).

I'd have a bloody good poke at every panel joint on the whole shell before deciding on fixing it.

Paul
29-05-07, 07:21 PM
i think your suggeustion of taking the whole engine out is very wise.

If you have bits like that you can see easily with engine in, then you may discover a few more ares when engines out. Not saying definitely but there is a high chance i'd say

mikey14sr
29-05-07, 07:43 PM
i think your suggeustion of taking the whole engine out is very wise.

If you have bits like that you can see easily with engine in, then you may discover a few more ares when engines out. Not saying definitely but there is a high chance i'd say

I did! was putting the new upper front panel in and had to do a similar repair to my left chassis leg, also found a nice little hole near the tca pick-up point.

Martin
29-05-07, 07:48 PM
^^ not lookin forward to you pokin around mine then mike lol

Edit: oh dear theres a quote for somebody lol

Paul
29-05-07, 07:59 PM
now youve started may as well finish. get plating! lol

muzzy
29-05-07, 10:57 PM
iv had a poke about and there is a hole just infront of the battery not big and none of the metal near it is rotten, the only bits i can find is the bits in the bay, but once the engine is out ill be able to see if theres anything else in there needing done

Vauxhall-Scotland
30-05-07, 02:03 PM
Best thing to do is put it for an mot first ;) least then you will know what all needs done :thumb: no point takin the engine out welding the bay then to find out the rest off the car is rotten underneath :eek: then it would have been pointless doing it :roll: