PDA

View Full Version : smooth boot

Anonymous
18-02-02, 10:50 PM
Can anyone give some advice on how to smooth my boot please.

Anonymous
18-02-02, 11:49 PM
tack weld a plate in the recess just below the surface. grind it all up, so that its rough, to key the surface. mix 70% fibreglass with 30% filler , makes it easier to spread, use this to build up level. once youve built it up enough grind it all flat so that its almost a flush lid. finish with a quality filler to get final shape.

Anonymous
19-02-02, 04:27 PM
yeah - just like that!

the name is misleading - because i am not called wisewood.

Anonymous
19-02-02, 09:05 PM
only its not actualy that easy lol

u will spend hours and hours b4 giving it to the body shop to finnish

i bought mine allready "finnished" but i still spent 8 hours on it myself cos it wasnt right (u could see the recess when u follwed me at night)

Micky@novaload.net

Anonymous
20-02-02, 12:00 AM
should have come to us for it micky!!!!!

Anonymous
20-02-02, 12:33 AM
I've noticed on a few at shows (like Billing) that you can see imperfections in the finish......if it's not perfectly flat, it stands out like a sore thumb especially on a dark colour.

The better option might be to weld on a single piece of steel over the full width of the tailgate.....removes the need to do any blending and smoothing on the main flat surface.
You'd still have to blend the joint at what ever point you welded it though.
If you've got a face-lift MKI or MKII with the large grab handle, this method would make removing and blending that easier too.

I've not tried either options personally (not particularly keen on it flushed) so can't comment on how easy either one is, but having welded on both rear arches on my last Nova, I'd imagine the option I mentioned above would be a lot easier.

Anonymous
20-02-02, 01:14 AM
shave her regularly, that should do the trick :P

Sorry, I'll get me coat