PDA

View Full Version : Strut Brace or ARB

Nova_Tek
27-05-07, 12:31 AM
Still on the look out for GSi front ARB for my Nova.

I was just thinking, which would aid handling more: an ARB or a strut brace? Together with the current lowered springs and uprated shocks.

Beraring in mind that I want a XE or LET conversion later down the line.

Thanx :thumb:

dannyb
27-05-07, 01:59 AM
I've found (only on small blocks) that a front ARB isn't that effective, although you have to try it to see if that suits. If you need a GSi front ARB, I have one kicking about in my back garden!

Bouch
27-05-07, 03:53 AM
Bin the ARB and deffo go for the strut brace.

Ernie
27-05-07, 08:09 AM
strut brace and coilovers.

Philsutton
27-05-07, 03:07 PM
I run neither on mine

ELLIS GSI
27-05-07, 09:31 PM
i put a strut brace on mine and made a difference. (iv got ARB as standard)

Mike
27-05-07, 09:35 PM
I have both, front and back. Its personal preference tbh.

craig green
27-05-07, 09:47 PM
Ive never tried without ARB. Was pleasantly surprised by adding a strut brace though. When my car returns to the road it'll be minus the ARB, so I'm looking to find out & have a play. If ditching the ARB helps reduce understeer, then all the better IMO. I dont suffer with it too much but I hope it might bring the rear into play a little more perhaps?

Mike
27-05-07, 09:48 PM
i might try that, remove the front ARB, go for a blast and then compare?

Nova_Tek
27-05-07, 11:56 PM
I've found (only on small blocks) that a front ARB isn't that effective, although you have to try it to see if that suits. If you need a GSi front ARB, I have one kicking about in my back garden!

How much you looking for the Front ARB. You wouldnt have a rear ARB would you as Im missing one of those aswell.

Deff need a rear ARB.

As mentioned Its gonna be a case of trying it with the ARB, with the strut brace and both to see whats best.

The cars handling is very good, very pleased with the springs that I got but one of the two could improve it slighly more.

Nova_Tek
28-05-07, 12:00 AM
If im gona get one Id want it to look nice :D but if poss id want one that will be useable with an bigger block. I have seen strut braces for Nova's: ones to fit carb models and ones to fit injection models. So would it not be possible to use a carb strut brace on an injection model or vice versa?

I quite like the E-Tech ones as they look sweet. Any reccomendations?

craig green
30-05-07, 11:29 AM
I like the Sparco & OMP ones as they look stiffest. The Etech ones have a thin point at either end.

Any rusty or scratched up 2nd hand brace can be powder coated or sprayed to look like new.

I'd get a strut brace & rear ARB. Thats the most common combination I reckon. Also I think injection type ones are the best bet as they offer the most clearance I beleive.

essexgte
30-05-07, 11:45 AM
ARB's & strut braces perform 2 very different taks, arb's help keep the chassis level when cornering, a substitute for decent damping control, wheras a strut brace adds laterall stiffness to the chassis by tieing the top mounts together.

Secondly a rear ARB is virtually pointless on a NOva as it has a fixed trailing rear beam, which in itself is as directly linked laterally as you'll ever get.

You only really need to look at rear ARB's on IRS equipped cars.

However the discussion on whether ARBs are good or bad goes on, I was just chatting with a mate last night about this, it all depends on how good your damping control & spring rate is at the front.

Manufacturers add ARB's to compensate for body roll to accomodate softer suspension / cheaper shock absorbers. So you have a good ride & good handling.

craig green
30-05-07, 11:51 AM
So if you slam it in the weeds on coilovers & wind the damping control to solid... you dont need an ARB.

Its been discussed loads, but I think most people serious about the handling would try it for themselves over simply beleiving what is said on a forum.

Stuart
30-05-07, 11:59 AM
front ARB on say a pug 205 is good as its mounted properly, uses drop links and does its job right. the nova one is a bent bit of metal (not symmetrical) that is not mounted to the bodywork and flexes all over the palce doing a pants job......

GM love making cars understeer with ARB's even my vx does it lmao

craig green
30-05-07, 12:02 PM
Was almost definately an after thought on Novas.

The Astra GTE has a pretty good one on it. The Nova one looks so crude in comparison.

essexgte
30-05-07, 12:13 PM
Yep, the standard item is very crude, as mentioned above the effective mounting point moves in an arc as it's attached to the tie bars, rather than being mounted separatly & moving around a fixed pivot point in a symetrical direction on both sides of the car.

Some kind of rear mounted drop link type bar setup would be a much better alternative to the standard item. I'll be manufacturing a set of Lee303 (from Mig) tie bars with him soon, & will be ditching the ARB. His car handles a treat with no ARB, as it has decent damping control.

It's not just a case of the stiffer the better, but finding a good balance between the rebound damping & spring rate, which is where adjustable coilovers come into their own.

I'm waiting on a set of GAZ coilovers to be delivered as my current platform Bilstiens whilst great on the road are just too soft for the track.

Nova_Tek
01-06-07, 02:15 PM
Some good points raised. I think I will still go for a rear ARB even if it only makes the slightest of differences will still be useful I think.

In terms of the front ARB. If I can find a cheap enough one to try and see for myself, then I will. I will proably go for a strut brace as a permenant item and see how it goes with and without a ARB.

:thumb:

Would I be asking too much for piccies of strut braces? ;)

Ernie
01-06-07, 02:42 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/chunny01/03042007001.jpg

essexgte
01-06-07, 03:07 PM
Personally I wouldn't spend your time or money on a rear ARB.

The rear beam is fixed therefore will move in a uniform direction without the need for a rear anti roll bar.

The whole point of one is to tie the two sides of an independent suspension setup together so they move in unison, as they are fixed in the first place, they do that anyway.

craig green
01-06-07, 04:34 PM
My front ARB & poly race bushes are in a hedge somewhere. I must go & dig it out!

Nova_Tek
01-06-07, 05:50 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/chunny01/03042007001.jpg

Is that an OMP brace? Looks nice :thumb:

garyc
01-06-07, 06:34 PM
Have you seen the rear anti roll bar on colin smiths site? They look pretty tidy, not sure if he ever got any made though. Think its novarally.co.uk

Mike
01-06-07, 11:26 PM
?350, pilbeam stylee lol proper works parts them are