PDA

View Full Version : engine chugging heavily

big gra
26-05-07, 12:11 PM
when i go into higher revs the engine feels like its geting no fuel and wants to cut out, i have to go up a gear and run at lower revs! the car has broken down on me a fw times yesterday and today! ive changed the fuel pump, plugs and leads but no difference! any thoughts? and its a 1.4 sr on standard carb, standard air intake and 4branch manifold!

cooltom31
26-05-07, 12:39 PM
my 1.2 carb was doing that and i took it to a garage they said it was the tappets.

Welsh Dan
26-05-07, 01:16 PM
Sounds like its on choke.

big gra
26-05-07, 04:11 PM
ill check both of tehjm now, im thiniing it might be the choke, have had lots of trouble wit it, but i thought i heard a tappity noise last night so ill check both! just to be sure the butterfly on the top of the choke should be open when normal running and closed when the choke is on?

big gra
26-05-07, 06:23 PM
really need help now, just broken down and got towed home, engine cut out when i was driving, a guy came out of his house and said he could smell petrol a mile off! there was loads of petrol geting to the carb but it wouldent fire, the choke didnt sem to be doing much either, its always in the open position even when cold!! when i was being towed i put it in gear and after about 50metres it fired up! is the carb ****ed?? thinking of geting a new one and trying it! ive got my carb off my 1.2 engine, will that fit on just to get it running? any help appreciated!

Welsh Dan
27-05-07, 02:19 PM
The 1.2 carb won't fit your 1.4 inlet. You getting a spark?

Jon_nova1
27-05-07, 07:07 PM
over fueling?