PDA

View Full Version : grp A hubs, whats the score??

matthew172
24-05-07, 05:09 PM
now ive never realy understood how this setup goes together so people in the know could you please enlighten me

i know you use the rear wheel bearings from a passat synchro or summet along those lines,

but do these bearings just go straight into the nova hub without machining the hub??

and if so do these bearings have the right size hole in the middle to take the astra insert without machining this??

unlike the astra insert/nova bearing setup were the insert has to be machined to fit the nova bearing.

thanks matt

craig green
24-05-07, 05:17 PM
Strictly speaking thats not the Grp-A setup. Its a better mod for sure.

I think the knuckle needs to be opened out to accept a bigger bearing & the Astra hub flange goes in.

Philsutton
24-05-07, 05:30 PM
If your on about putting bigger hubs in, i.e the astra ones so you can run big shafts? Then you use the astra hub an machine it down to accept the nova bearing.

matthew172
24-05-07, 05:36 PM
If your on about putting bigger hubs in, i.e the astra ones so you can run big shafts? Then you use the astra hub an machine it down to accept the nova bearing.

YEAH, THATS THE USUAL SETUP THATS BEEN DONE OVER AND OVER AGAIN BUT I READ ON MIG IT CAN BE DONE BY USING A passat synchro rear bearing then you dont haveto machine the astra hub etc

Welsh Dan
24-05-07, 06:00 PM
I read that R1CH on here had the steering knuckle machined out to take the bigger bearing that matches the bigger hub rather than the other way around.

Stuart
24-05-07, 06:42 PM
since the machined hubs can and have snapped in the past

R1CH
24-05-07, 06:50 PM
Aye, i done this when i done my 5 stud conversion.
Had the steering knuckles machined out (?40) then used some Group A bearings from Harry Hockley (?60) you can use the Passat / VR6 rear diff bearings ( ???? ) i think Chris Astley MS also supply them ?
I still had to machine a small amount off the actual hub part tho. I'll have a crack with you at PV fella ... unless your desperate to do this before PV ?!?!?!

Rich

matthew172
25-05-07, 03:33 PM
no i was just wundering what the crack was with it so yeah ill have a crack with u at pv

craig green
25-05-07, 04:31 PM
Can I crack too? LOL

R1CH
25-05-07, 06:33 PM
Can I crack too? LOL

Aye, you can come for a bit crack if you want !!
lol