PDA

View Full Version : Induction options for c20xe-budget track car

dabsy
23-05-07, 09:36 PM
Ok, here goes...

I'm pondering over induction options at the moment. I want to bin the C20XE SFi injection, but :-

1) Second hand TB's (Jenvey/SBD/QEDs) seem to me to be too much of an outlay against my budget track car theme:(
2) Bike TB's seem to be fetching more daily, and there is still the 'one off' manifold to buy and all the gubbins to run them + ECU mappeing etc:mad:
3) Weber/Dellorthos seem to be non prefered due to their low tech approach to fueling i.e. chuck SHAT loads in and make power:thumb:

Any opinions/suggestions on the above?

Currently I think the car will be track day only non raod legal so very low annual mileage and no need to worry about fuel efficiency really. I could do with some guidance on carbs and maintenance costs, based on reading about them needing setting up regularily.

Cheers,
Dave.

Nick
23-05-07, 10:21 PM
Twin carbs !? non preffered ?

Go check out some serious competition cars ! You're on a budget, so a pair of good condition 45's will be spot on. Easy to install, Easy to setup and hassle free.

And "Carbs need to be setup regularly" is the biggest load of bollocks ever.

Mine have been on for about 2 years and are still going strong. The Key to it is making sure they're in good condition before you start using them (as with everything) and having a good setup. There are far too many cowboy ebay sellers and cowboy "tuners" .

dabsy
24-05-07, 12:44 PM
Cheers Nick, just what I was after, some advise from somebody using them.

Did you get yours new or just buy second hand ones that you checked out before parting with the cash?

Dave.

Adam
24-05-07, 12:52 PM
If you've got the cash i'd go for bike tb's and management(budget option), superior to carbs, as perfect fueling and ignition.

Carbs aren't much of a budget option if they need re-jetting/choking, chokes are ?40 for 4 etc.., then you'll need inlet, cav distributor setup(or a ignition ecu)

I agree with nick tho, they do NOT go out of tune overnight like a lot of people say, if you find a good set, and fit a new service kit. They'll be fine.

craig green
24-05-07, 12:54 PM
I'd go carbs of some sort with a mapped ignition to really get the best from them.
Bike carbs make sense to me as the workings are all more modern & better tolerance etc. I'm not putting the Webers down though.

Nick
24-05-07, 02:36 PM
Cheers Nick, just what I was after, some advise from somebody using them.

Did you get yours new or just buy second hand ones that you checked out before parting with the cash?

Dave.
They're Ultra expensive new. Like ?500 each !

I bought some 2nd hand ones from a reputable person off here, i'd been assured they'd been recently rebuilt and the condition reflected this !

Throttle Bodies would be better, but you're they're alot more expensive.

Stuart
24-05-07, 02:53 PM
whats the budget for the budget install.....