PDA

View Full Version : Twin 40's HELP!

L14MNP
21-05-07, 10:55 PM
This has me stumped, my mates car [mk1 xr2] has twin 40 webbers and they are being a cnut!

We replaced the wiring loom in the car and now it doesn't want to start!

Ran fine beforehand, now seems like the carbs may need rejetting /cleaning?

It was firing and dying, only staying alive if you kept starter turning, but now, after some easy start and carb cleaner it doesnt attempt to start at all.

The plugs seem to be fine, they aren't soaked in fuel
The fuel pump is working and fuel is coming through to the rail
All 4 plugs are sparking
The alternator is working fine
Battery is fine [been running it with jump leads too]

Today we unscrewed the two 'caps' on the bodies and unscrewed the 4 jets? that's in each and cleaned them up although they seemed fine too!

What we have noticed is that when it tries to turn over the starter seems fine, but when you pump the acc. pedal it turns ever faster [confused!]

Any ideas? Has us stumped now! We get the feeling the carbs need to be took apart but have no clues how to do this, guess he needs the Haynes or equiv, carb manual

I'm right in thinking the carbs are entirely mechanical and don't require anything at all except no air leaks and fuel supply right?

Also RE fuel pump, although it pumps fine, it makes a click click click noise instead of the usual motor wirrr that i'm used to, on it's last legs or normal for some types? I don't know what type it is yet as I haven't looked unerneath when I've had the chance!

Cheers :D

maccas
21-05-07, 11:17 PM
have you tried turning the dizzy cap while turning the engine over? you would be surprised how a small amount of movement can stop them from running, hope this helps

maccas

Stoo
21-05-07, 11:18 PM
is it on a vac adv dissy?

L14MNP
22-05-07, 12:18 AM
The dizzy is right below the inlet so is very unlikey that's happened, but all ideas welcome! I will try and turn it, cheers!

No, not vac adv

Adam
22-05-07, 12:22 AM
Sounds like the fuel pumps screwed to me.
Or the pump relay(if it has one), which may explain the clicking,but id imagine a xr2 had a mech pump.

Carbs dont need re-jetting overnight, and are entirely mechanical, so if you have a spark, then only thing left is fuel to the carbs...

L14MNP
22-05-07, 12:33 AM
Sounds like the fuel pumps screwed to me.
Or the pump relay(if it has one), which may explain the clicking,but id imagine a xr2 had a mech pump.

Carbs dont need re-jetting overnight, and are entirely mechanical, so if you have a spark, then only thing left is fuel to the carbs...

Aye, someone suggested they may need overhauling but as you say it doesn't happen overnight.

Pump has relay, they don't as standard, maybe it is goosed, but the pump is working and fowing fuel, so surely not?

Cheers mate

Adam
22-05-07, 12:55 AM
Are you getting a constant supply of fuel out the supply line when the pumps running? A clicking sound, if its definently from the pump does not sound good,Lol.

Have you tried pumping the throttle a few times then turning it over? My engine starts then dies sometimes, a few more throttle pumps and turn it over, it starts right up.

L14MNP
22-05-07, 01:03 AM
Aye pumping throttle, yep constant supply of fuel too!

Weird eh!

Guess we'll look into the crazy fuel pump a bit more lol

TY dude

Welsh Dan
22-05-07, 01:10 AM
Has the fuel pressure regulator been knocked/adjusted by mistake?

L14MNP
22-05-07, 01:13 AM
Has the fuel pressure regulator been knocked/adjusted by mistake?

Not to my knowledge mate,will have a play tommorrow, it's got to be one of these ^ things lol

Thanks