PDA

View Full Version : Engine rebuilding terms/phrases

Stanley
21-05-07, 10:31 PM
I always see people posting up a spec list of there recently rebuilt engines and half of it i dont understand (but have a slight idea).

Please could someone post the meaning of the folowing phrases/processes and if you know of any more, please post them.

Also any serious engine terms of the same type.

Shot peened rods:

Re-ground crank:

De-seamed:

'Washed bores??' (i know thats bad lol)

Keep em comin folks

Nick
21-05-07, 11:09 PM
First on the list...

In Simple Terms. Shot Peening is a process similar to Sand Blasting, where "shots" (Metallic or Ceramic bearings) are fired at the surface of the metal to increase it's strength. I.e Shot Peening con-rods makes them less likely to fail, and makes them stronger.

L14MNP
21-05-07, 11:14 PM
I'll take reground crank lol

The surface of the journals [where the bearing shells sit against] is ground down so that it is perfectley flat again.
Typically needed after you've spun a shell

Mike
21-05-07, 11:16 PM
De-seaming (official general technical term)

Definition: A process of burning out defective areas on the surface of ingots, blooms or billets. The condition of the surface is such that it can then be rolled or forged into a satisfactory product.

So, the seams in the rods are removed, along with any pitting id imagine too

maccas
21-05-07, 11:20 PM
as far as i'm aware bore wash is when your engine is running overly rich, so much so that the excess fuel wahes the oil from the walls of the bore? correct me if i'm wrong

maccas

L14MNP
21-05-07, 11:28 PM
as far as i'm aware bore wash is when your engine is running overly rich, so much so that the excess fuel wahes the oil from the walls of the bore? correct me if i'm wrong

maccas

10/10

burgo
22-05-07, 12:03 AM
unfortunetly i dont have a before pic but this is an after pic after i de-seamed it and then had it shot peened

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/sclurgess/nova59.jpg?t=1179788497

Mike
22-05-07, 12:05 AM
You can see in Burgo's pic, that the casting seams are clearly "gone"

hence - de-seaming :thumb:

Burgo, what you use to do that anyway? file or something?

burgo
22-05-07, 12:06 AM
no proper carbide milling tools in me dremel

Mike
22-05-07, 12:12 AM
no proper carbide milling tools in me dremel

ooooooooooh :thumb:

burgo
22-05-07, 12:18 AM
and they are snap on :P fooking rip off lol

LJH
22-05-07, 09:23 PM
de-seaming gets rid of the seams(jagged bits, casting imperfections) which are weak points and cracks can spead from them!!!

Stuart
23-05-07, 08:54 AM
ill add some more into the mix.... maybe we can make this a reference thread if it gets good.

Line Boring:
Typically used for boring the main bearings of the bottom end of the block to ensure they are round and all in line. This is typically done on higher spec engines where you want to start with a perfect base for modding, OR where youve spent a mint on a bottom end and want to recover the block if the bearing tunnel goes awry.

You can have cam bearings linebored too but this dosent tend to happen that often.

A rebore that is done in relation to the line bore ensures the bores are 90deg to the crank, minimising losses etc.

Decking:
no not in the garden lol. Its where the top face of the block is skimmed (like a head would be) to a) make it totally flat b)clean it up for a fresh gasket c) to increase compresison ratio and d) to ensure the top of the block is parrallel to the line bore on the main ends (if its been done)