PDA

View Full Version : What is the Group A Engine spec for a C16XE?

olix99
21-05-07, 04:11 PM
don't knwo if this is the right place but it seems to be just a general thing.

in my WIP thread i was reccomended the group A spec for the C16XE engine i intend to use.

Can someone explain what the Group A spec is and what parts are used - tried searching but nothing seemed to come back :thumb:

strcnova
21-05-07, 09:34 PM
Group a spec generally means Thousands!!!!
do noy know exeactlly but you will be talking about
Forged piston
rods
crankshaft
bored head or cleaned
block honed
lighted flywheel and clutch plate
better exhaust manifold
throttle boddies or carbs
and a hole lot more.

For a group a near spec for my 8v i would be looking at the best part of 2000quid!

A mate has a 1400cc 16v corsa and i know his engine started with a company called bowyer and that engine cost original owner over 5 grand!!! but it produced over 190bhp from a 1400, it been further tweeked and now has over 200bhp!!!!

be prepared to spend money on it. fit the best you can buy and do not skimp on anything as it may come back and bite you for not doing so.

Nick
21-05-07, 09:45 PM
welll Off the top of my head... according to the Grp A Nova Manual, They used a fairly standard block with Cosworth pistons. Some headwork, the Original EFi (i think the ECU is completly different), C20XE injectors.. And runs stuff like an Oil Cooler and Epas ! And i'm sure Ashley Loosley base their 4-1 Manifold on the GRP A item.

I remember Bruces GRp A 1.6 8v ran the Standard EFi with DTA Managment IIRC, and had the usual Strenghtened bottom end and some other Mods.

in relation to motosport (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorsport) governed by the FIA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%A9d%C3%A9ration_Internationale_de_l%27Automob ile), Group A referred to a set of regulations providing production-derived vehicles for outright competition. In contrast to the short-lived Group B (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_B) and the Group C (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_C), the Group A referred to production-derived vehicles limited in terms of power, weight, allowed technology and overall cost. Group A was aimed at ensuring a large number of privately-owned entries in races.

Mike
21-05-07, 10:24 PM
A mate has a 1400cc 16v corsa and i know his engine started with a company called bowyer and that engine cost original owner over 5 grand!!! but it produced over 190bhp from a 1400, it been further tweeked and now has over 200bhp!!!!

Aaaah, Mr Martin Bowyer, top bloke he is to! Built us a 160bhp 1.4 8v 106 engine quite some time ago, obviosly at a ridiculos price too! It now live in a C2 that is next out on the Plains IIRC

Yeah, Group A ECU is "tweaked" so to speak, its not standard, but not megaly different if that makes sense

Novasport
21-05-07, 10:27 PM
He said the C16XE which is the Corsa GSi engine, not the Nova C16SE/E16SE. As far as I know there has never been a group A version of the C16XE as Vauxhall never rallied it.

Mike
21-05-07, 10:29 PM
He said the C16XE which is the Corsa GSi engine, not the Nova C16SE/E16SE. As far as I know there has never been a group A version of the C16XE as Vauxhall never rallied it.

Doh lol i thought it was C16SE lol

Yeah to my knowledge the never rallied Corsa GSi's as works cars either? They were all privaters

Ash
21-05-07, 10:44 PM
Vauxhall might not of, but what about the Super1600? Surely there a 'basic' guideline thing

Mike
21-05-07, 10:47 PM
Vauxhall might not of, but what about the Super1600? Surely there a 'basic' guideline thing

well not really no, its user preference within set guidelines/limits (weight/power etc)

we've ran cars in the super1600 with standard engines, manifold, pug sport system, cup box, plate diff and obv proflex or pug sport suspension, knobblies/slicks etc etc

Nick
21-05-07, 10:48 PM
Erm it's pretty pointless trying to achieve it really. The 8v GRP A spec retains alot of original Parts. So if your wanting to make some kinda GRP A 16v i'd say run the standard injection on managment.

But What's the point, your not trying to recreate something for novelty value (i.e Bruces car). So just probably best running it on Carbs or TB's depending on Cash, with Cams/bottom end/Headwork to match a desired about of power.

Mike
21-05-07, 10:50 PM
i would imagine the Group N would be better for every day road use anyway, as its pretty much bolt on parts anyway IIRC

Nick
21-05-07, 10:53 PM
Group N is a "showroom class" providing competition for standard production veichles. If you look at GRP N Rally cars such as the Evo's they're very close to the standard productions cars. Saying that, the Standard production cars come with Bilsteins, HKS Exhausts, HKS Boost Pipes. I think the only addition they run is safety equipment, and a tinkered ECU

I.e very Limited Mechanical Modifications. You've got to run full interior trim, but with the presence of Safety Modifications.

If your not planning to compete in Grp A or Grp N Regulated events, then don't make it to a set spec.

Mike
21-05-07, 11:01 PM
Group N is a "showroom class" providing competition for standard production veichles. If you look at GRP N Rally cars such as the Evo's they're very close to the standard productions cars. Saying that, the Standard production cars come with Bilsteins, HKS Exhausts, HKS Boost Pipes. I think the only addition they run is safety equipment, and a tinkered ECU

I.e very Limited Mechanical Modifications. You've got to run full interior trim, but with the presence of Safety Modifications.

If your not planning to compete in Grp A or Grp N Regulated events, then don't make it to a set spec.

thats what i mean by bolt on parts lol

Nick
21-05-07, 11:10 PM
Thought you meant Bolt-on Parts concerning the engine. If that were the case, every bloody part is bolt on

Mike
21-05-07, 11:13 PM
Thought you meant Bolt-on Parts concerning the engine. If that were the case, every bloody part is bolt on

oooooooooooh lol lol yeah very true tho :thumb: lol

well, it acutally should have been "bolt-in" lol

Stuart
22-05-07, 07:57 AM
imho bowyer is the mutts bits for 8V gm engines but when it comes to the 16V's then its JRE who wins that little game :)

olix99
22-05-07, 11:14 AM
thanks a lot guys :thumb:

seems so much clearer now, this is another thing to chew over then for the engine choice :rollseyes: lol