PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Ignition

Nick
20-05-07, 12:20 PM
My 1600T40 runs the delco remy setup from the 1200 engine, that previously was in my nova.

The alternator is on it's way out. Is there a difference between the 1600 and 1200 alternator ?

Whilst i was changing it, is there any point in changing the Dizzy/Coil for a 1600 item, or prehaps one of those more fancy "race" coil packs from motorsport manufacturers.

Welsh Dan
20-05-07, 12:23 PM
There might be a difference in output between the alternators, but that would be it.

If your current dizzy and coil work, I'd suggest you stick with them, unless you want to go for managed ignition and have it RR'd and mapped.

Ash
20-05-07, 12:40 PM
ummm, i was told that my 1.2 coil setup wouldn't work on the same application. normally people use the 1.4SR setup. i'd be interested to see what upgrades you can do to the ignition, or though i don't think it needs it.

Mike
20-05-07, 02:39 PM
Aldon automotive do a few aftermaket ignition bits for SR ignition systems :thumbs:

Stuart
20-05-07, 03:17 PM
tbh do you NEED an expensive coil? if not then why waste time and money on an extra spec sheet line lol

Nick
20-05-07, 03:18 PM
ummm, i was told that my 1.2 coil setup wouldn't work on the same application. normally people use the 1.4SR setup. i'd be interested to see what upgrades you can do to the ignition, or though i don't think it needs it.
Well you were told wrong !

I've been running the delco remy stuff for over a year now. Was a more cost/time effective way of doing it. Now i've got time and some dosh, i'm thinking of upgrading it all....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/j829nick/car005.jpg

^ Looking very dirty and tired :-( but you can see the 1200 Dizzy/cam housing, i even run a Mech Fuel Pump. As long as the Camshaft has the drive types machined in the end, then it's all good.

stv-b16a
20-05-07, 05:54 PM
very nice mate. whats with the alloy box? looks like oil catch/breather. did you make it yourself nick

Nick
20-05-07, 06:46 PM
Nah, i can't weld for **** ! It's a Oil Catch Tank.

Had it made by someone through RSM motorsport. It's pretty nice, although i didn't request a sight-guage !

He can make any tank, so might get the others made-up. It was a damn sight cheaper than the generic alternatives

Nick
20-05-07, 06:48 PM
tbh do you NEED an expensive coil? if not then why waste time and money on an extra spec sheet line lol
That's why i was asking - I don't have a clue what benefits come from aftermarket ignition setups, or even the difference between the 1200 and 1600. The coil, Alternator, Dizzy are all old stuff that's been on their since the car was made. was wondering if i'd benefit from freshening it up with reconed/new items.

Adam
20-05-07, 07:19 PM
You'd probably see no benefit but its always nice to have some new bits,Lol.

Nova_pilot-The 1.4SR ignition system is superior to the 1200/1300 one, altho it does work fine as long as your cam has a Slot end drive etc.

So to answer your question Nick, theres no "need" to upgrade, but the ignition system is getting a bit old now, so its up to you really.

H&H ignition systems can supply new ignition setups, with a different ignition curve to suit your engine spec more(as your current curve is set for a 55bhp 1.2 with a single carb,Lol)

Nick
20-05-07, 07:24 PM
You'd probably see no benefit but its always nice to have some new bits,Lol.

Nova_pilot-The 1.4SR ignition system is superior to the 1200/1300 one, altho it does work fine as long as your cam has a Slot end drive etc.

So to answer your question Nick, theres no "need" to upgrade, but the ignition system is getting a bit old now, so its up to you really.

H&H ignition systems can supply new ignition setups, with a different ignition curve to suit your engine spec more(as your current curve is set for a 55bhp 1.2 with a single carb,Lol)

Thanks, Precisely the information i was after !

krobinson
20-05-07, 07:41 PM
Actually i've been told by various Vauxhall tuners that you should stick with the 1.2 dizzy as it gives more advance.

Keith

Nick
20-05-07, 08:47 PM
Yep, i've also been told the Delco remy dizzy gives better performance in racing application, but then everyone seems to tell me something different.

Will probably just get a reconned 1200 Alternator/Dizzy. And prehaps a high-perormance ignition coil.