PDA

View Full Version : FAO: STE, CP, MC

Anonymous
08-02-02, 11:01 PM
There was a post on here a while back about brake servos hissing. Mine was doing it on my SR, so today i changed it for a TD one. Guess what? the bloody thing is still hissing! Is this servo worn as well, or is this normal operation? plz help

cheers :-/

Anonymous
08-02-02, 11:33 PM
To check your Servo:
1. With the engine off , pump the brake pedal a bit and then hold it down.
2. Start engine - should feel noticeable give and the pedal will move down abit.
3. run the engine for a few mins. Switch it off and press the brake pedal right down. Then release and you should hear a hiss. If you then pump the pedal the hissing should lessen b4 giving up altogether.

If yours does the above its OK and the brakes should be working fine. If not investigate the calipers and check they and the pads aren't siezed up. To do this carefully prise the calipers apart so that the discs free up off the discs.They will be fairly firm but it should be relatively easy to free them off. If you cant budge them at all , even with giving them some serious grief with a big screw driver, then they need to come off and be overhauled - the pistons etc will probably be rusted up.

Anonymous
09-02-02, 08:32 AM
wouldn't the servo pipe be a goodun to check?? cause the seal normmaly hardens and doesn't work, no? are ur brakes working ok??

Won't be loud enough till i have all 3! :P

Anonymous
09-02-02, 05:57 PM
cheers CP that answers my question. The reason i dont think its the hose spanish fly is becasue u can hear it in the car, but cheers n eway. other people have said that as well. Yeah my brakes work fine, so i spose i shouldnt really worry, but ive just bought a replacement servo, so if the hissin = knackered servo i would have taken it back.