PDA

View Full Version : Stuff -with pictures! - please read.

Anonymous
07-02-02, 12:30 AM
Ok,

I've been working myself up into a froth about the little rust patches that need fixing around my car. My local garage quoted me ?360 pounds which I *can* pay to fix most of it (painting and panels)

All I want to know is how long I should leave these things. I've taken a few pictures so you can gauge the problems for yourselves.

1. Drivers side inner arch - seems to be rusting heavily on the outer skin (if it is indeed a two part skin) - http://flatbed.dyndns.org/images/driver.jpg

2. Passenger side inner arch - same again but slightly better - http://flatbed.dyndns.org/images/passenger.jpg

3. Inside the drivers arch, the underskin seems to be intact still - http://flatbed.dyndns.org/images/insidedr.jpg

4. The boot floor (common), the other side is exactly the same http://flatbed.dyndns.org/images/bootl.jpg

There is also a hole in the battery tray where it has leaked and burnt a hole in the metal.

Please have a look and give me sound advice :)))

!
Toby

Anonymous
07-02-02, 01:04 AM
Is your Nova left hand drive then?

I have to say that I've NEVER seen rust like that on Nova inner arches!
The normal place for rust is usually higher up at the seam for the strut turret to inner-wing joint....not on that part :-/

It's all been welded at some point...that's obvious and it looks like they didn't do a very good job of it!

They all look solid enough to leave for a while though, until you get 'em sorted.......the boot could be left like that for ever.....it's not doing any harm apart from looking a mess.
The inner arch looks ok from underneath, so it's not all the way through which is a good thing!
Get it done though, if only to look better!

P.S. What colour is it? Is it metallic Laser Blue?

Anonymous
07-02-02, 01:33 AM
When you say - "you have never seen rust like that on nova inner arches" do you mean that its REALLY bad- or just unusual?

Its a 1.4 SR in blue (and no, its RHD)

Anonymous
07-02-02, 01:35 AM
u know what mate it all depends on what u want to do with the car!

u can get a mint shell for 250 or around that then reshell. thats the route i would go.

Anonymous
07-02-02, 01:37 AM
Oh and when you say "Get it done though, if only to look better!" - does that mean that the garage who want o charge me 360 quid wont be able to stop + repair it?

Anonymous
07-02-02, 08:15 AM
ere rich - is the laser blue the colour of my 5 door?
coz the pics lok the same colour as mine.

the name is misleading - because i am not called wisewood.

Anonymous
07-02-02, 08:18 AM
My girlfriends GSI had rust in the same place on the inner arch! H plate, but that?s the only place, ie the turrets where fine. All I did was hit it flat with a hammer (you will find out if its solid!) dug out all the rot and welded a small strip along that join, then sealed it, and painted. Once the air box was back in you would know I had my welder in there. As for the other side, I have a similar problem with my 87 SR! But the rust is higher up near the wing. Not sure weather to do a quick fix or do it proper.

Anonymous
07-02-02, 11:08 AM
do it proper i dont want to hear u even say that you are thinking about cutting corners.

Anonymous
07-02-02, 11:23 AM
All the metal work is solid around the turrets, but as you lot say; the rest of the turret itself is fine. I'm gonna get the damn thing booked in (dont like welding).

Anonymous
07-02-02, 12:04 PM
I had rust like that on my inner archs. cut it out and got a plate welded on both sides. sealed and painted ?30 per wing. good quality too. (That was in brierley hill by aldon automotive tuning)

Anonymous
07-02-02, 11:34 PM
Toby....I meant I'd never seen rust in that position.....even on my 83 A-reg, that section was solid and I've never seen one on a scrap yard with more than surface rust in that area. The weird thing is that the rest of the engine bay looks solid, and the areas that normally go are solid on yours :-/
Just unusual to have it there in my experience, although a few peeps above seem to have had it there, so there you go.

The garage should be able to cure it, but it might not last for ever and it might not look original....that would require more work than the ?360 quote.
e.g. to get the boot looking original, it'd probably need a new floor welding in.....the garage will just weld in new plates to replace the old ones.

Anonymous
08-02-02, 12:58 AM
Ok, thanks for the adice. I just need to make sure that the garage cure the bits of original metal left that gets plated over, or it will go rust from underneath I guess. But as someone else already said, the bootfloors in all the nova's I've seen tend to do that a bit.

Anonymous
08-02-02, 05:45 PM
makes a big diffrence if the cars lowerd though it moves the stress about the engine bay

which is why old scrapyard cars have the rust in diffrent places

Micky@novaload.net

Anonymous
09-02-02, 12:16 AM
toby toby toby would this be your 'mint' ?3400 or whatever you paid for it car and its 'no problem as youre loaded and can afford it'?

Hi officer.
What?
She said she was 16!
NOT AGAIN FFS