PDA

View Full Version : Inner Arch

Anonymous
06-02-02, 12:35 PM
Has anyone replaced the front inner arch b4? My car is mint but the front drivers side turret is a little rusty, I?ve tried all sorts of rust converters etc, but each winter it comes back. I know you can just weld a plate over the top but I just wondered how hard it is to do a proper job. It doesn?t need the whole inner arch its just rusty where the seam joint is on the turret.

Anonymous
06-02-02, 03:32 PM
I had a pl8 welded into mine not long ago and its fine, the lad did a gud job aswell, it looks alright too.

Twitchin like a pigs eye!

Anonymous
06-02-02, 10:49 PM
You would need to know what you were doing and make sure that it was all jigged up to retain the correct geometry. I would go to some body shops/accident repair places and ask how they do it. It would be a fairly big job i would imagine to do properly - engine out and front suspension removed??

Anonymous
06-02-02, 11:17 PM
Na, my rust was only along the seem at the bottom,It didnt have any effect on the struts, Ive had no uneven tyre wear and my suspension is fine, the guy only needed to take k+n and airflow meter off, unless it,s totally rotten, then maybe you would need to take the engine and suspension out.

Twitchin like a pigs eye!

Anonymous
07-02-02, 01:43 AM
how bad is it? are u sure it needs replacing?

Anonymous
07-02-02, 07:55 AM
As your looking at it the turret it's rusty on the seam join near the wing, dosen't need a whole new inner arch, but was wondering if the rusty section could be cut out and a new section could be welded in. If i plate it, a year down the line the rust under the plate would rot through. The tyre still wears evenly so the geometry is still correct and as i don't have to cut it all out, it shouldn't need to go on a jig. I hope. I might take a pic that might be easyier to show the rust.

Anonymous
07-02-02, 10:44 AM
Have a look, let me know what you think of the rust. The pic makes it look worse than it really is, it's still solid, wont crumble if you hit it with a hammer. lol
http://communities.msn.co.uk/NovaSR/shoebox.msnw

Anonymous
07-02-02, 11:05 AM
if u want not rust at all the only way is to blast it u can just have that section done or the whole bay/car its up to u. blasting kills 100% of the rust then u could weld a new section in. if ur near essex i can get u a good price!

Anonymous
07-02-02, 01:51 PM
I wooldn't worrie judging by pic it's not worth bothering with unless your entering a concourse compition!
Car looks clean

Anonymous
07-02-02, 11:11 PM
pag sand plasting aint that special

Anonymous
08-02-02, 12:47 AM
Nice car BTW.
Right you won't need to jig to sort this but a strut brace would be good for peace of mind.
Basically it needs plating. The rust will come back from below but by the time it does the car will prob be long dead (many yrs ahead). To do it properly you ought to remove the the outer wing so that you can get both sides of the problem area. What's happened is that rust has infested from below and when you get all the underseal off there will be a patch of rust many times bigger than what you can see inside the bay. Cos its come from below, the steel will be basically fooked and you will ahve to weld in more metal either with or without removing the old knackered stuff. Most peeps would cut out a piece of metal bigger than the patch so that you can weld to sound metal with a baby mig welder. Knock the old crap out 1st and clean the area up so its easy to weld OK. When done, thump it down abit with a hammer, grind off the worst of the bumps and then fill and paint. When finished, get some grease and paint it on thick onto the reverse side to stop any further rusting from taking place