PDA

View Full Version : Broken Plasma

L14MNP
17-05-07, 10:56 AM
Hey, got a 42" Hitachi plasma that's about 2.5 years old and its developed a vertical band of colours about 1.5" wide that s almost constantly there, it does on a very rare occasion dissapear, so the pixles aren't dead I guess.

Anyone know of a reputable repair place? I'm not bothered where in UK it is, if its financially viable to repair it i will.

Don't say use the AVforums, they're all knobs lol

Stuart
17-05-07, 11:00 AM
is it insured? if so, oops it fell off the stand.

it would probably be cost prohibative to repair it as im guessing you paid ?2K for it that time ago, and you can get a spankingly horny pioneer 50" plasma for that now.

draper
17-05-07, 11:02 AM
id claim off the insurance aswell, you'll be covered under your contents anyway

L14MNP
17-05-07, 11:04 AM
Yeah just shy of ?2K mate, things just aren't made to last now lol

Could try the old house insurance scam I guess, would have to ensure it smashed big stylee though! 'Cos if they powered it up and it has a dead panel I may get questioned? Never done insurance fraud before.

There's always the classic 'it fell down the stairs' I guess. Wouldn't be much left after that, problem is with it being and old style one it has a seperate media box, so that would survive! Although unlikey, it could be that which is the problem? Meh.

Riggy
17-05-07, 11:05 AM
spankingly horny pioneer 50" plasma for that now.

plasma come on stu no one wants plasma no more lol

L14MNP
17-05-07, 11:06 AM
........Plus it would smash a whole right through the wall! lol

draper
i was taking it upstairs when the cat tripped me up, twas an act of god, can i have some money please

easy peasy

Iain
lol I can just imagine you throwing it off the roof, driving over it, jumping on it and setting it on fire and trying to claim off the insurance

L14MNP
plasma come on stu no one wants plasma no more lol

Plasma > LCD IMO

draper
17-05-07, 11:07 AM
Plasma > LCD IMO

agreed, especially the bigger you go

L14MNP
17-05-07, 11:10 AM
Could sell it on eGay "oh i lost the power cable mate, here's a link for where you can buy another" lol

then go to the sell out discount we no longer stock hi-fi nationwide chain

Stuart
17-05-07, 01:48 PM
lol

LCD > Plasma upto 40-42"

I love my LCD, its light, dosent use tons of power and looks the mutts muts.

goldengraham
18-05-07, 05:15 PM
plasma's are ****e, well ours was anyway, watching football on 42'' plasma the players were a blob, now upgraded to 42'' Toshiba LCD, much better than the plasma imho

and yeh, the good old ' Whoops i dropped it down the stairs' always works a treat

Stuart
18-05-07, 06:23 PM
swings and roundabouts really...

A 2 year old big plasma will look toilet compared to a smaller current model LCD. But if you compare current Plasma with current LCD the plasma will win but only just imho...

Lee
18-05-07, 06:30 PM
Ok, I rekon you can fix this, its an uber common fault, especially on the cheapo Orions. Go and buy a can of compressed air.... and then

Mark with tape onto the bezel where the line ends on each end of the screen.

Remove the back cover (there will probably be about eleventy hundred screws)

You will find a load of circuit boards around the edge of the screen, these are the X and Y boards which distribute the charge to the screen. They are connected to the main board of the screen by a ribbon cable.

The tape you put on earlier will show you which two boards are playing up. Remove the ribbon cable from these two boards and use the can of air to blow into the connectors on the board. You can also clean the ribbon cable contacts with some solvent if you have some. While the backs off, use a vacuum cleaner to suck the huge amounts of fluff and stuff out of it too.

That should fix it.

And as for Plasma being better than LCD.......

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA