PDA

View Full Version : whats the penalty on reg plates

bobby p
15-05-07, 11:54 PM
what is the penalty on moveing letters an numbers on your reg plate. ive just got a private plate and put some plates on but moved all the letters. it says (K 80BY.P) instead of K80 BYP. ive also shortend the plates by about 3". will i get points.

Jack
15-05-07, 11:59 PM
Fine up to ?1000 and the plate withdrawn. I don't think you'll get points. Usually its an on the spot ?30 fine.

bobby p
16-05-07, 12:03 AM
Fine up to ?1000 and the plate withdrawn. I don't think you'll get points. Usually its an on the spot ?30 fine.

cheers mate. i been told its ?60 spot fine and you have change your plates. just dint no if you could get points. ive only got 3 left so dont want anymore.

Stuart
16-05-07, 08:00 AM
its usually a ?30 on the spot fine (the vx folks make lots of money for the police as they run 3/4 size or not at all on the front). If your persistant they can get as petty as they like... eg if the palte isnt right, technically its an MOT failiure therefore no mot and the associated fun that comes with no valid tax nor insurance... but that would be a rare case of plod getting mega petty

draper
16-05-07, 08:30 AM
id carry your original plates wit you, if stopped say your on your way back from a meet/show/photoshoot and youve forgot to swap them back over OR only have the mis-spaced one on the front, its unlikely they'll turn round and pull you for 1 dodgy plate unless your driving like a twunt

gazz
16-05-07, 08:31 AM
i had a ?30 fine off the fuzz..they said letters where to small, also it never had a BS kite mark or something...:roll:

draper
16-05-07, 08:32 AM
also has to have the postcode of the place that made the plates

gazz
16-05-07, 08:35 AM
also has to have the postcode of the place that made the plates

yeah he said something about that to!
or the name of the place that made the plates..

Jack
16-05-07, 08:39 AM
Yep, the rules for plates are really tight. Even having a screw in the wrong place can net you a fine. Tends to be though that copper will only pull you if he's got nothing better to do and he's behind you, or wants an excuse to check you out/annoy you.

There's a guy on CCUK who has silver/black plates on his ST202, small size and misrepresented letters... he's considering getting a direct debit set up to his local police funds lol

gazz
16-05-07, 08:44 AM
Yep, the rules for plates are really tight. Even having a screw in the wrong place can net you a fine. Tends to be though that copper will only pull you if he's got nothing better to do and he's behind you, or wants an excuse to check you out/annoy you.

There's a guy on CCUK who has silver/black plates on his ST202, small size and misrepresented letters... he's considering getting a direct debit set up to his local police funds lol

lol
would it just be cheaper to get new plates....
(each to their own i suppose)

Stuart
16-05-07, 09:41 AM
the whole kite mark.post code crap is dubious as that only came into force recently (12 months ish) so how the hell can they prove that you didnt get your non marked plates made up years ago?

I get my plates from some website as they are totally plain and fairly cheap + means no fecking about with your lifes history in documents

L14MNP
16-05-07, 10:46 AM
In my experience it's a 30 quid fine and a 14 day rectification notice

Persistant 'misrepresentation' carries a threat of the plate being removed from your ownership

Adam
16-05-07, 03:00 PM
Ive just had a new set of "show" plates made up.
They carry no kitemark, or postcode etc on them. And the font is pretty much standard, slightly thinner letters.

Imo i'd be extremely unlucky to get pulled for no post code under the reg, seeing as my current plates dont have it either(the original plates from new)

bobby p
18-05-07, 01:46 AM
think ill just carry another set of plates incase i get pulled. will look crap if i space them normal. waste of money. had them on just over a wk now an not been pulled yet. sure i will soon. aslong as i dont get points im not to botherd.

Driver
18-05-07, 08:54 AM
i used to have noplate on the front and a bold one on the rear and got away with a ?30 fine lol