PDA

View Full Version : x16xe on carbs info needed

alan b
15-05-07, 09:23 PM
hey guys stripped the corsa today and decided im gona go for carbs twins 40's? anway how will i manage the spark? no managment as on a tight busget! cheers lads

Stuart
15-05-07, 09:31 PM
you cant if youve not got the budget to get even a megasquirt for ?200...

Adam
15-05-07, 09:52 PM
Theres no way you can do it on a budget tbh. A twin carb inlet alone is about ?150.
Then the carbs ?200, rr setup ?300, management ?200 minimum etc.

Tbh id put the money towards a mantzel copy inlet (?200)

alan b
15-05-07, 10:16 PM
half my loom is cut and another bit is fried, it was in a crash, didnt no megasquirt was that cheap, anyone ever use a manta distributer ohc distributer and the little belt jobie

Adam
16-05-07, 01:06 AM
You'd somehow need to bodge on the dizzy, and run it off the alternator belt or something, not impossible, but v.hard to do.
A proper ecu would be much better and actually have a suitable ignition curve.

If your buying ms tho, you could go the whole way and fit bike tb's(same cost as carbs) but more power and better driveability etc.....

alan b
16-05-07, 06:38 PM
just did a little experiment on my sri, if i disconnect the injectors it still sparks, so could i some how fool the x16xe ecu into still sending out a spark with no injectors?

Adam
16-05-07, 06:53 PM
It may run, probably crap tho.
Ignition curve will be a "limp" home mode one as it will know the injectors are unplugged, so naff all ign advance.
The curve will be wrong anyway as it was mapped for the engine with a 5ft inlet tract etc.
You will still need to keep the TPS,Map sensor, Crank sensor for the ecu to fire a spark. Map and Tps you wont have with carbs... Unless you fit them.

Just buy a megasquirt for ?250.
Or Megajolt(spark only) for about ?100.
But then you'll need a map.
It will be a hell of a lot better than imo bodging it trying to get the std ecu to run it.

alan b
16-05-07, 08:21 PM
looked into mega jolt there think il go for that but how will i run a map sensor on carbs? will i have to make up a little chamber? or could i use a tps sensor on one of the carbs?

maccas
17-05-07, 05:23 PM
use a tps, you can get special tps's for webers, have a look on the sbd website, you will see all the components you need for a conversion to carbs and management etc. www.sbdev.co.uk (http://www.sbdev.co.uk) hope that helps

Adam
17-05-07, 06:07 PM
Megajolt uses TPS and MAP sensor to make a 3d map.
A TPS comes on bike carbs, you will have to make a bracket to fit one to the spindle of weber carbs.

For a map sensor you will have to drill and tap a union into each runner, then join them with vacuum hose(with t-pieces) then run a main hose from the end of the join to the megajolt ecu. If its like MS it has the map sensor built onto the board.

Ash
17-05-07, 06:12 PM
just use bike carbs if you haven't bought anything yet. They would work a lot better on a 16v engine than webers. And if you get the right set, should be easier to make work with MS.

Adam
17-05-07, 06:13 PM
Get TB's!
If your buying MS anyway(which will run tb's) i see no reason to stay with older technology, giving less driveability and gains.

You'd still need an inlet etc for bike carbs, so may aswell get bodies on there.

alan b
17-05-07, 07:57 PM
no mega jolt uses a crank shaft sensor and either a tps or map you dont need both!, if i were to go for bike carbs which ones? and also how easy are they to set up, no one over here in ireland wants to set them up!

paddy138
17-05-07, 08:04 PM
were abouts in ireland are ya

burgo
17-05-07, 08:13 PM
ive got an x16xe and bike tb's and ive just received my megasquirt aswell. in total the tb's and megasquirt has cost me ?400 so hardly a bank breaker. ill let you know how i get on in a couple of weeks but let me know if you want contact details of who i got my megasquirt from

alan b
17-05-07, 08:16 PM
im in galway! ya mite go for that then didnt no it was so cheap!

paddy138
17-05-07, 08:21 PM
do you know any rally prep companys up there or near it

burgo
17-05-07, 08:21 PM
the megasquirt i bought comes ready built and the bloke puts a base map on it and sets it up as much as he can, plus i went for the launch control and tacho output option. all together it was ?305 to my door

Adam
18-05-07, 12:22 AM
no mega jolt uses a crank shaft sensor and either a tps or map you dont need both!, if i were to go for bike carbs which ones? and also how easy are they to set up, no one over here in ireland wants to set them up!
You cant use the Std GM ignition DISpak/crank sensor to run megajolt.

Need EDIS system off a ford.

I'd still go for MS and tb's. Can be done cheaply if you can knock yourself up a "ok" map, as a base map is just that, to get the engine barely running.

burgo
18-05-07, 02:25 AM
You cant use the Std GM ignition DISpak/crank sensor to run megajolt.

Need EDIS system off a ford.

I'd still go for MS and tb's. Can be done cheaply if you can knock yourself up a "ok" map, as a base map is just that, to get the engine barely running.im running the standard dispackand crank sensor

Adam
18-05-07, 02:33 PM
Megajolt and Megasquirt are two different systems.

Your megasquirt will be running version 1 with the Extra code which alloys it to directly fire coils, megajolt cannot do this.