PDA

View Full Version : What not to do at Castle Combe

Dar
15-05-07, 10:24 AM
For anyone who is thinking about going to Castle Combe and hasn't been before. This is what happens at Quarry Corner when you get it wrong.
What not to do at Quarry Corner (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWjiIBf51J8)
Granted this is in the wet, but it does demonstrate that if your going too fast over avon rise (where this car gets a bit of a twitch at the start). You don't have much scope for recovery.

Remember peps your entry speed in to a bend is not the most important thing. Your exit speed is much more critical. So remember slow in fast out:thumb:

coochiSR
15-05-07, 10:29 AM
Thats fooked!!! and i get what you mean ;)

novabex
15-05-07, 10:35 AM
Yeah you can proper see it twitching over the rise!

Poor pug!

coochiSR
15-05-07, 10:37 AM
Poor pug!

No it isn't!!!! Pug's are c**p!! The 205 GTi's are the nicest Pug ever made, and there still poo!

SRlew
15-05-07, 10:40 AM
ah no way, if i ever get to combe im taking it easy there lol

macc nova
15-05-07, 10:57 AM
bloody hell, its the best place to watch all the activity though!

burgo
15-05-07, 11:03 AM
what a muppet, going far to fast

gazz
15-05-07, 11:08 AM
what a nugget...lol
you can see he is going well to fast into that bend...
bet he wont do that again..:)

Teggy
15-05-07, 11:08 AM
ouch, havent they got a open day soon my mates taking his 205 gti lol ill show him what can happen lol make him worrie

draper
15-05-07, 11:13 AM
that is some terrible driving !!

KPautomotive
15-05-07, 11:21 AM
Agreed! He's going WAY to fast and brakes WAY to late.... and in the wet too!!!

Dar
15-05-07, 11:27 AM
Its very easy to do though, since you don't actually see the corner until your over the rise. Its the best place to sit at Combe if you want to see some carnage though. Although the most entertaining ones are the guys who just get away with it by the skin of their teeth.

Lee
15-05-07, 01:13 PM
lol @ 'crap driver' comments. You see F1 drivers do things like this.. cant really sit there and say theyre crap can you! It was a mistake, simple as that. Quarry is VERY unforgiving, one reason why in my vids you can see im not nearly as gung ho on the approach as is possible, as I know exactly what can go wrong. A cavvy at the last action day did quite an amusing 'wall of death' around the tyre wall at quarry lol

Although hes a fecking tool for looking at the damage while other loons are hooning around the corner, hopefully the marshall gave him some anal rapage for not getting clear ASAP.

hendrix
15-05-07, 01:16 PM
haha my next door neighbour did exactly the same thing in the wet last sunday at combe on avon rise, ended up hitting a tire wall and bending his wishbones and knackering one of his coilovers. Was racing lo-cost kit car in 750 motorclub thingy

Dar
15-05-07, 01:18 PM
The cavvy doing the wall of death
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI4CsH2WeWw

Lee
15-05-07, 01:20 PM
Nice find lol. What made me laugh the most is the loon came round the next lap and nearly did it again!!!!

chris gsi
15-05-07, 01:24 PM
i am sure the cav finished the lap off aswell

Lee
15-05-07, 01:27 PM
Agreed! He's going WAY to fast and brakes WAY to late.... and in the wet too!!!

He was going way too fast for quarry BECAUSE he got out of shape over the rise. Braking hard with the **** swinging around isnt the cleverest thing to do. Feels sorry for him TBH, looked and sounded expensive.

Mike.
15-05-07, 06:03 PM
there eye openers

KPautomotive
15-05-07, 06:13 PM
Does look bit out of shape over the crest doesnt it! lol

Timmy
15-05-07, 06:16 PM
i wanna track day my 1.2

KPautomotive
15-05-07, 06:17 PM
lol

draper
15-05-07, 06:18 PM
i wanna track day my 1.2

go for it, theres still places left for llandlow :thumb:

Dar
15-05-07, 06:24 PM
go for it, theres still places left for llandlow :thumb:
Timmy its also one of the best places to pop your trackday cherry as well. I also don't mind sitting in with you to talk you around if you wanted.

Geth
15-05-07, 07:20 PM
It does look like a very tricky corner with that crest in the braking zone. You could see he was well out of shape as he was just coming into shot. One of those "Oh ****! There's the corner" moments.

And timmy, bring the bloody car to Llandow you fool. As already said, it's a brilliant track to learn on. And a 1.2 would probably be a good car to start with as you would have time to concentrate on your lines and braking points.

CP
15-05-07, 10:14 PM
Quarry looks like nothing until you realise that you are going pretty fast off the straight and then just when the car should be set and locked down ready for the sharp right hander the slight left over a little crest unsettles the car and then its too late which is exactly what happened to him. The corner has made him look more of a monkey than he probably was being.
The track pro told me not to keep tight to the left after the brow but rather aim for the middle of the track which is the fastest line and naturally takes you round on the right line for the fastest exit. Worked for me although I was nearly collected on that corner by someone 360'ing in front of me just after he thought he had out dragged me down the straight lol

If you go along to one of the action days there when its chocka with all and sundry avoid going out on the early sessions. Someone will crash and you will be sat in queues waiting for the carnage to be cleared.

Philsutton
16-05-07, 10:43 AM
lmfao what a tool. Either that was his first lap or he just doesnt learn the corners. When i went round in the nova in the pissing rain on the same corner a 205 came tanking past backwards then off in to grass some where. lol i cant say that much though as i spun it on the straight but at least i kept in on the track.

Lee
16-05-07, 01:51 PM
Timmy its also one of the best places to pop your trackday cherry as well. I also don't mind sitting in with you to talk you around if you wanted.

Ive heard of you sitting in cars 'talking them around'. lol

No wonder theres so many raving homo's on NL!

And Phil, you cant talk as your car is too slow to lose control of lol lol

craig green
16-05-07, 02:04 PM
lol i cant say that much though as i spun it on the straight

LOL.

I dont think the driver is necessarily a muppet, a driver that has done countless laps could probably make that mistake when pushing harder for quicker times. Probably didnt help being a gay french car though.