PDA

View Full Version : I'm stuck Plz help, ignition barrel out steering lock on!

GTE TURBZ
15-05-07, 09:27 AM
I was putting on the upper steering shroud and to do this, you have to take off the ignition barrel, i just about managed to take it off after a hour or so of fiddling around.

Problem 1, puting the barrel back i turned out to be harder than taking it out, so again fiddling around fiddling around with no joy.

In the end gave up and decided to push the car into the garage and try again tomorrow;

Now Bigger Problem, without thinking whilst i was turning the steering wheel, managed to steering lock it!!

Has anyone been through this and can i put the barrel back in with the steering locked. Plz help:(

burgo
15-05-07, 10:48 AM
for a start you dont have to remove the barrel to fit the upper steering shroud. as for the barrel im sure last time i tried it slid straight in with the key in it but could be wrong. as for the steering lock i think if you put a screw driver down the barrel housing and turn it (sorry hard to explain what) then this will release it

GTE TURBZ
15-05-07, 11:34 AM
for a start you dont have to remove the barrel to fit the upper steering shroud. as for the barrel im sure last time i tried it slid straight in with the key in it but could be wrong. as for the steering lock i think if you put a screw driver down the barrel housing and turn it (sorry hard to explain what) then this will release it

well according to Haynes the ignition barrel has to come out for the upper shroud,

But would the barrel go in if the steering is locked, or will it have to be released first, i'll give it ago though:thumb: Anymore help will be appreciated

Riggy
15-05-07, 08:33 PM
look down the barrel , you can see the steering lock , just lift it with a screwdriver and turn wheel

Ernie
15-05-07, 08:37 PM
as above.
When putting the barrel back in put the key in the barrel until it is in posistion 2 then should slid back in aslong as the steering lock is off.
Hope this helps.

GTE TURBZ
15-05-07, 10:01 PM
well managed to get the steering lock off but when i was putting on the barrel (from a new complete lock set:( ) i snapped that spring loaded bit that you have to depress when taking it out.

Gutted, i really dont wanna have a 2nd key for the ignition as the car had about 3 differnt keys previously to the new locks.

Thing is i still got the old ignition barrel and was wondering if i can salvage the new barrel from the old i.e. take that bit off and put it in the new barrel.

Have to call vaux if i can get a new barrel instead if thats could be an option!

Ernie
15-05-07, 11:10 PM
it all depends on if you have the right barrel as well in the new set as there are 2 differant types.

GTE TURBZ
16-05-07, 04:14 PM
it all depends on if you have the right barrel as well in the new set as there are 2 differant types.

Just ordered one from vaux said they make one to match the lock set, comes with a spare key too:)

Thanks all the same buddy