PDA

View Full Version : Few Qs on going mk1-2 dash

bigbened
14-05-07, 11:31 PM
Right while im wating for my steering wheel puller i thought id get a few things straight, Which plugs need changing, which if any need lengthening, will the old speedo fit, will the old centre console fit?

any help or anything else that i need to consider would be great

Jack
15-05-07, 12:07 AM
Plugs: central blower/heated RW control needs rewiring, have a look in Haynes as its just a case of moving two or three wires round on the plug. I have a feeling theres another plug that needs rewiring too, but someone else will confirm.

Lenthening: Audio might need stretching a bit, but all the others are ok.

Old Speedo: Yep, but it'll need wedging in - screw a bolt into the top dash mount and bend it down to hold the top of the dials in place.

Old centre console: Nope, you'll need a Mk2 item.

:thumb:

Adam
15-05-07, 12:27 AM
Hazard switch needs some cutting and joining too iirc.

Jack
15-05-07, 12:28 AM
Thats the badger, always forget that one lol

bigbened
15-05-07, 10:37 AM
ok cheers

Jack
15-05-07, 11:45 AM
Just thought as well, don't forget you'll also need these Mk2 bits as the Mk1 items won't fit:

- steering column shroud
- behind-dash ducting for the vents (plus a heater matrix with side holes if you want the side dash vents to work)
- heater control cables

:thumb:

bigbened
15-05-07, 07:11 PM
got all those and there all in, just a few probs though, ive done the heater plug, the lights seem to be different( plug+wire colour), and do you just not bother wiring up the headlight adjuster as mk1s are manual?

The fog light switch also has different colour wires and a different plug?

should the stereo work if nothing else is connected i.e.lights etc. because i have made the loom for the stereo longer and im sure ive done it correctly but it wont turn on?? only thinking this because my old punto was wired through the ciggy lighter?

Jack
15-05-07, 07:35 PM
Looking at Haynes, foglight still uses the same colour for power in (yellow), power to foglamp (black/blue) and earth (brown). Mk2 also has a Grey/Green wire but from what I can see this can be ditched.

Headlamp adjuster can be left as the Mk1 is manual, yes.

Stereo should work... checked all the fuses? Whilst your there with the dash out tbh you'd be better off just running an independent (fused) wire from the battery to the HU.

bigbened
15-05-07, 11:27 PM
nearly all done now, fog has no live? cant think why. everything is done accept for fog and rear boot popper (ive got no switch in my dash for one). I have just used the ignition live for the HU for now untill i get some more wire. just a bit peed off because i have realised that half of the little bulbs have gone so its all got to come out again lol

cheers for the help R.J

Jack
15-05-07, 11:36 PM
Haynes says fuse number F5 (10 amp), have a butchers in the fuse box and check the wire :thumb:

bigbened
15-05-07, 11:55 PM
ok sound ill have a look in the morning, i think ill buy a haynes too lol

novamadcars
16-05-07, 12:56 AM
i was going to convert mine but it seems to complecated for me so thats off my list of things to do now i can fill a tear rolling down my cheak

Jack
16-05-07, 08:55 AM
Nah, its dead easy and a top mod :thumb:

I keep meaning to write a complete guide with pics, but I've already removed my Mk1 dash. Could always put it back in temporarily and pretend its fitted just for a few pics lol

bigbened
16-05-07, 10:39 AM
year id advise you to do it NOVAMADCARS, I dident know anything about changing a dash over, but it is pretty straight forward and imo it looks the bollocks. Most of the wires are the same colour, just in a different place in the plug. Or the plug is different, so just cut it off and rejoin it to the mk2 jobbey

novamadcars
16-05-07, 10:02 PM
Nah, its dead easy and a top mod :thumb:

I keep meaning to write a complete guide with pics, but I've already removed my Mk1 dash. Could always put it back in temporarily and pretend its fitted just for a few pics lol

i demand a guide lol befor i sell or throw away the mk2 dash