PDA

View Full Version : fitting new wings....

staggy_gsi
14-05-07, 08:23 PM
im in the process of fitting new wings to my gsi. they are a pattern part and an absolutely diabolical fit. i figure it must be a common thing so does anyone have any tips on how to get them to fit 'properly'? or is it just a case of a lot bashing with a big hammer lol

mowgli
14-05-07, 08:24 PM
time, patience, meditation & filler

Matt2107
15-05-07, 12:15 PM
IIRC one of mine needed a small amount of metal removing/bending from the lip on the back on the downward edge closest to the door.

philly
15-05-07, 04:23 PM
^^^ same as matt on mine. had to trim it off at the edge where it meets the inner wing at the side of the bonnet raisers.

try to get the bolts from inside the car fitted first

L14MNP
15-05-07, 04:26 PM
I was disgraced at the 'fit' of the Hadrian pattern part front wings, involved a lot of grinding and hammering of the inner lips and even a few adjustments to the brand new front panel. An absoloute joke! Good luck with it mate

Matt2107
15-05-07, 04:28 PM
There can be a lot of variation.

My other wing fitted fine.

Just luck of the draw really.

Timmy
15-05-07, 06:34 PM
inside bolts first make sure wing is all the way back then front then the rest. need to re fit mine once i get it back

staggy_gsi
16-05-07, 05:12 PM
cool cheers guys. a mate of mine said to me today that he had to cut a strip of the arch off the car rather than the wing in order to get the wing to sit in far enough. might leave it to the bodyshop yet when it goes for paint, ill have another fiddle at the weekend though