PDA

View Full Version : Ghey, crappy, useless, homo, sh1tty carbs!

Lee
14-05-07, 06:37 PM
The SR has finally succumbed to the usual bout of buckarooing, stalling at junctions and generally spluttering on par throttle.

Had a chat with Ad, he rekons it the auto choke sticking. Blatantly I believe him as he is God, but he's not sure. Anyone have any suggestions?

Manual choke conversion? Where can I find one? Any other suggestions to what could be shagged?

Cheers me dears!

ps. Injection rules! Carbs are for queers lol (yes, that includes Dan!)

Mike
14-05-07, 06:44 PM
yeah your correct, my SR done the same, and i had a b@llache of a job sourcing a new choke unit, had the last one in the west midlands apparently?? came in a rather dusty GM box to lol lol

craig green
14-05-07, 07:00 PM
Wang on a Weber 32/34. They run far better.

Does the above mean that Pierburg service kits are no longer available? You used to be able to get the diaphragm & all that gubbins to sort out the auto choke.

Mike
14-05-07, 07:06 PM
Does the above mean that Pierburg service kits are no longer available? You used to be able to get the diaphragm & all that gubbins to sort out the auto choke.

well, i dont actually know tbh, i used a very skilled old chap to source this part, and he came up trumps.

And yes, for the 2 days i had a weber 32/34 my SR ran so much better, and pulled so much stronger!

Lee
14-05-07, 07:10 PM
Looks like im after one of them then! Anyone got one they would like to sell? lol

craig green
14-05-07, 07:10 PM
If its dropped in with a K&N & four branch etc I'm pretty sure it can be a bit thirsty & damn fast but I'm sure correctly jetted & setup you should be able to get some decent economy from one. The main thing is the choke sizing & the 2nd choke is mechanically operated by the throttle cable & not vacuum like the Pierburg which is another ageing issue.

Scrapyards ought to be full of old Pierburg 2E3's to raid bits from though.

Lee
14-05-07, 07:12 PM
Scrapyards ought to be full of old Pierburg 2E3's to raid bits from though.

Id rather get rid of the thing and fit an XE, however that would mean the mrs couldn't insure it, therefore i would lose my testicles.

Think the webber is the better option.

dannyb
14-05-07, 07:12 PM
My 1.2 carb did this on its nasty Pierburg. I replaced so many ignition components before biting the bullet and getting a professional to take it to bits and clean it up as I havent got the skills/patience to do it myself!

Lee
14-05-07, 07:14 PM
My 1.2 carb did this on its nasty Pierburg. I replaced so many ignition components before biting the bullet and getting a professional to take it to bits and clean it up as I havent got the skills/patience to do it myself!

Agreed, i know sod all about carbs, and I dont intend to learn either lol

Mike
14-05-07, 07:16 PM
Agreed, i know sod all about carbs, and I dont intend to learn either lol

i know a few things about them. One thing is, there a pain in the **** in the cold :thumb: 60mph, in the snow, on the motorway with a Pierburg is asking for trouble FACT

Go the Weber route, itll make it so much better to drive ;) or just pull the carb inlet off, and kit it out with SRi injection lol

Adam
14-05-07, 07:18 PM
Fit SPi ;)

Lee
14-05-07, 07:18 PM
i know a few things about them. One thing is, there a pain in the **** in the cold :thumb: 60mph, in the snow, on the motorway with a Pierburg is asking for trouble FACT

Go the Weber route, itll make it so much better to drive ;) or just pull the carb inlet off, and kit it out with SRi injection lol

Did consider that, but that would involve a new tank, pump and fuel lines, as well as other sh1te. Plus, im skinter than a gangrenous prostitute!

Lee
14-05-07, 07:19 PM
Fit SPi ;)

I also considered fitting the 1.2 spi from the green one, but that would cost more insurance wise than fitting an XE PMSL

Mike
14-05-07, 07:56 PM
Did consider that, but that would involve a new tank, pump and fuel lines, as well as other sh1te. Plus, im skinter than a gangrenous prostitute!

check out my WiP thread, bargains in used parts are everywhere :thumb:

altho, if your skinter then a pirate with no gold and a compass that doesnt even point north, your still fcuked lol

bigbened
14-05-07, 11:18 PM
when mine was doing this (still is the little tw/-\t) i was told it was that the dizzy was knackerd.

if you get on the motorway in the cold for more than 8.65seconds it is just sure to die as soon as you stop, fact

Ernie
14-05-07, 11:56 PM
it's just going from bad to worse at the moment fella sorry to hear about this bud.

coochiSR
15-05-07, 10:00 AM
Mine was doing this, 2E3, so i set my bad a task (in the trade) of trying to find a service kit or manual choke conversion but he told me its more than the cars worth and it'll be cheaper to wang a weber on, nearly ?200 if not more :eek:. So your best bet BT is to put a Weber on, easier to get it jetted before though, i've got a list somewhere of what the jets should be, roughly, i'll put it up later :)

Matt2107
15-05-07, 10:25 AM
BT Bassboy has a 32/34 carb for sale.

Worth a pm.

Stuart
15-05-07, 10:31 AM
email me the carb and ill clean it for you

Ash
15-05-07, 12:23 PM
just to add, my pierburg did the same so i replaced it with a weber 36TML. when i pulled the pierburg apart all the gaskets had gone, so it could just be that, air leaking in.

Manual choke kits used to be on ebay all the time btw.

paddy138
15-05-07, 05:37 PM
get an old mechanic to look at it, usually the older mechanics know a few tricks about carbs, if you do he mite get it workin again and save you a few bob