PDA

View Full Version : oil pressure gauge problem?

benny f gsi,n it
14-05-07, 03:03 PM
hey was wondering if any one can shead some light on a little problem the oild pressure gauge moves as soon as you turn the key it goes up to 3/4 and just stays there does not move. now is this wired up right or a knackered sensor?
Benny

Pigeonrat9
14-05-07, 03:17 PM
Is this with the engine running or just with the ignition on? The sensor controls the earth, so if it's doing this without the engine running it suggests either the sensor is stuck or the wiring between the dash and the sensor is earthing somewhere. I'd say it was a stuck sensor; if it were a wiring problem it'd be off the gauge on the right-hand side...

benny f gsi,n it
14-05-07, 03:35 PM
yer with the engine off or on the gauge stays the same

Adam
14-05-07, 03:39 PM
Do you have a 2pin oil sender fitted?

benny f gsi,n it
14-05-07, 03:41 PM
yer ther is 2 pins coming out of a big black plastic round thing lol

Adam
14-05-07, 03:52 PM
And is the wire spade connector clipped on the back of the clocks?

benny f gsi,n it
14-05-07, 03:55 PM
yer should i trace all the wires and ensure they all have a good conection

Pigeonrat9
14-05-07, 05:38 PM
yer with the engine off or on the gauge stays the same

Right, well, when the ignition's on but the engine's off, the sensor shouldn't allow any juice to flow through it, and the gauge should read zero. When you start the engine the sensor opens up, allows power through to earth and the gauge registers. The gauge is constantly connected to an ignition live, and the sensor switches the earth. As I see it, if it's allowing ANY current through with the engine off, the sensor's either stuck halfway or the wire from the gauge to the sensor is earthing somewhere against the car bodywork.

Disconnect the wiring at the sensor and see if you've then got continuity between the blue/yellow wire at the back of the gauge and a point on the car's bodywork - if you do, it's a wiring fault, if you don't, I'd say it's a sensor fault :thumb: