PDA

View Full Version : 1st rust

Driver
14-05-07, 08:15 AM
yesterday it pi**ed it down

i was quite happy sat in the house not thinkign about puddles in my footwell like i did with the van

untill i went to the car and found the hugest puddle in the world (a good inch deep) in the drivers footwell, i traced it back to a hole in the battery tray

the rust scab is about the size of a penny but the hole itself is no bigger than 3-4mm

i know it does eventurly need welding but i dont want to send it in for welding untill i go to get my scabby rear arches done

so untill then what can i do to stop wet feet and future rust

my dad suggested waiting untill its dry (in the garage) then geting some silicone/mastic on it??

would this work well enough ???
what other ways is there ??

big gra
14-05-07, 09:19 AM
bit of silicone should do, or abit of fibreglasss or filler over the hole! just get it done before it gets worse!

craig green
14-05-07, 02:43 PM
Aye. Just seal a 2p or summat over the whole with silicone or similar. make sure its dry to ensure it works.

Also, as this is just above the fusebox, make sure its done no damage like starting to corrode terminals or shorted anything out. FORD Orion stylee.

Chris
14-05-07, 03:02 PM
I would be more concerned about the battery dropping onto my feet though.

Take the battery out, let it dry, then push as much metal out as you can, this way you will see if it is ok to use.

Driver
15-05-07, 12:31 AM
allready had a poke with a screw driver, very solid apart from hole

it was wet again today so didnt get roudn to it i just covered car up with a sheet

will silicane a plate/2p etc over it tomorrow