PDA

View Full Version : internal fuel pump

Mike
12-05-07, 07:45 PM
not in tank, in car

ive done this plenty of times before at prevois work with rally cars, BUT whats the opinion on this and the dreaded MOT? Our old rally car/s had no issues, but they were competition cars, this aint :confused:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/mikenova/fuelpumpsetup.jpg

Philsutton
12-05-07, 08:22 PM
Rally cars still have to be road legal do they not? So if they pass then so should yours

mowgli
13-05-07, 09:57 AM
I looked into this before.
I believe the pump should be boxed in, & the fittings should not be jubilee clip style, but compression type screw thread.
You might also get some trouble with the height position of the pump. As standard, the pump sits lower so it doesn't have to suck the fuel very far. If the fuel supply runs low (hard cornering etc ) the pump can get dry or airlocked so the engine gets starved & the pump will eventually seize.

Mike
13-05-07, 03:11 PM
I looked into this before.
I believe the pump should be boxed in, & the fittings should not be jubilee clip style, but compression type screw thread.
You might also get some trouble with the height position of the pump. As standard, the pump sits lower so it doesn't have to suck the fuel very far. If the fuel supply runs low (hard cornering etc ) the pump can get dry or airlocked so the engine gets starved & the pump will eventually seize.

not really, one of our old 106 GTi rally cars had its fuel pump mounted on the inner wing, as oppose to in the tank and that never had any problems :confused:

mowgli
13-05-07, 07:21 PM
not really, one of our old 106 GTi rally cars had its fuel pump mounted on the inner wing, as oppose to in the tank and that never had any problems :confused:

I only added the bit about fuel starvation as a side issue based on past personal experiences.

The bit about the pipe & fittings is from the msa blue book

I see why people want to go for the motorsport look with the pipes inside, but I do not understand why anyone would put a bosch fuel pump inside the back of a car, the noise would be like suffering from tinitus (Ringing in the ear).

There are probably loads of mot stations that won't even check the fuel lines, but if you suffered a fire & it was found that you had modded them, then no insurance payout

tom reid
13-05-07, 08:32 PM
Mowgli's advice is sound.
Even for your own safety you should not have jubilee clips securing the the pipes inside the car, I would only use compression fittings.
Spend the little bit extra for your own sake and it looks better too.

Mike
13-05-07, 10:22 PM
Mowgli's advice is sound.
Even for your own safety you should not have jubilee clips securing the the pipes inside the car, I would only use compression fittings.
Spend the little bit extra for your own sake and it looks better too.

im fully aware of that, the pic is a mock up/trial fit, as its all gotta come out again v-soon

Adam
14-05-07, 12:30 AM
I dont really get it, why run an internal pump??
Fair enough on rally/hill climb or something, but on a road car....

Just a lot of messing with running pipes etc, for no gain. And the pump "buzz" would do your head in, Lol.

ben lee
14-05-07, 12:53 AM
for the mot as long as every part is scure and not leaking and the fuel cap keeps the seal then it will pass.

theres nothing in the mot book about running fuel pipes thro the car so it will pass.

Paul
14-05-07, 10:51 PM
agreed, whats the point?

Mike
14-05-07, 10:56 PM
I dont really get it, why run an internal pump??
Fair enough on rally/hill climb or something, but on a road car....

Just a lot of messing with running pipes etc, for no gain. And the pump "buzz" would do your head in, Lol.

as it wont be a road car for much longer :thumb:

Paul
14-05-07, 11:00 PM
fair do's then. in that case, from what you said in the first post, that you build rally cars at work? then why not use your experience and not listen to us amateurs?

Mike
14-05-07, 11:02 PM
fair do's then. in that case, from what you said in the first post, that you build rally cars at work? then why not use your experience and not listen to us amateurs?

as our cars ran with normal circliped stainless lines, and i was only asking to see wether the filter is before or after the fuel pump smart****. Hence the pic :roll:

Paul
14-05-07, 11:32 PM
sorry to get your back up. Filters after the pump. why not just do your car as you do the ones at work then?

Mike
14-05-07, 11:35 PM
sorry to get your back up. Filters after the pump. why not just do your car as you do the ones at work then?

as the ones at work have a ?50k budget, i dont.
The cars at work are built to rally from the start, unlike mine.
The cars at work do approx 1000miles a year (if that) pretty much like mine lol

and so on, and so forth :thumb:

Paul
14-05-07, 11:47 PM
so just buy some braided pipes and the clips etc and do to yours what you do to them?

Stainless braided pipes are cheap as fook if you go to the supplier.

Mike
14-05-07, 11:51 PM
so just buy some braided pipes and the clips etc and do to yours what you do to them?

Stainless braided pipes are cheap as fook if you go to the supplier.

look in the pic, i already have stainless braided pipe as i said at the start :roll:

Paul
15-05-07, 12:06 AM
forget it, so whats all the comments about you not having a 50k bidget then if you have what you use at work.

Plus not once have you mentioned the question where does the filter go?

END OF CONVO

Mike
15-05-07, 04:04 PM
forget it, so whats all the comments about you not having a 50k bidget then if you have what you use at work.

Plus not once have you mentioned the question where does the filter go?

END OF CONVO

read the first post, "opinions on in car fuel pumps" and STFU :thumb:

Matt2107
15-05-07, 04:48 PM
pmsl

Dar
15-05-07, 06:42 PM
My 2p:D
I believe that high pressure pumps do not like sucking, although they will work when sucking the fuel a long way they don't like it and will fail earlier.

I personaly don't like having the fuel pump inside the cabin with me and if I did I would have it boxed in. If your not running a swirl pot then I would relocate the pump and filter back to where their supposed to be. If you want internal fuel lines use the proper bulkhead fitting's and proper unions.

Also do not use rubber fuel lines inside the car. They stink because the aroma of the fuel leaks through. Use PTFE lines instead and you will get no fuel smell inside the car. Mine smelt like it had a fuel leak, it was that bad.

and lastly to save yourself loads of money on Areoquip fittings, find your local hydrolics place and get all the JIC-6 fittings swadged on to the lines and you will save yourself a fortune. For example the two internal PTFE lines for mine where ?50 the pair(About 4-5mtrs of lines and four fittings plus the swadging) and the bulkhead fittings where about ?5 each.

There is nothing wrong with internal fuel lines if they are done properly.