PDA

View Full Version : Suspension

Anonymous
01-02-02, 12:06 PM
I have currently got a 1.2 Nova Merit (Mk1), and have just put some 15? Dare RLS alloys on it with 195/45 tyres. It really needs lowering now, and I could do with some advice on suspension mods.

1) What is the sort of drop that everyone would recommend? I would ideally like to drop it at least 40mm, but since I have got fairly small wheels on would a 60mm or 80mm drop be possible (without/very few body mods), and without affecting my ability to get over speed humps.

2) I also need to understand some things about suspension. If you lower a car, then I take it that the suspension travel is shortened. If you were to go over a large pot-hole with a car lowered by, say 60mm, would the suspension be able to cope or would it go out of the bounds of the suspension travel and cause some damage to the shocks or springs, or worse to the car itself?

3) I would also like to know what makes of suspension you would all recommend ? I don?t mind spending some money on getting a good suspension set-up. I am considering a Bilstein fully adjustable kit, are these any good?

Cheers
Pickle

Anonymous
01-02-02, 04:51 PM
i have Bilstein on my 1.4SR, to get the best handling car i think is to, go to the front of the car, place two fingers on top of each other, place them on top of the tyre and measure the distance from the top of the fingers to the arch, and lower the car by that measurement all the way around.

Anonymous
01-02-02, 10:10 PM
The Merit and the like are slighlty higher than the sr's/gte's/sri's etc. So i know people have said that lower the merits 60mm and the sr's etc 40. My sr i done 40, and thats got the same size wheels as u. Doesnt rub at all (only when u have 3 people in back it does, mind u the third 1 was a fat bitch, but she was me mates!!! :D) and it looks spot on. But like carnage says just measure the gap u would like between wheel and arch, then take it wawy from the clearence uve got, and Bobs ur Uncle, u know how much to lower it!

Hope that helps!

'Somerset - Oh Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!'