PDA

View Full Version : Engine Choice ???

ive_had_a_novadose
11-05-07, 01:48 PM
i am wanting to change my 1.2 engine for something a bit quicker but cant afford insurance for a 2.0 and a 1.6 might be a bit high then again i mihgt think fook it lol

so what is a good quick engine for a low insurance quote? i have heard someone on here talking about a 14se engine (82 BHP apparently) so i want your experienced views on this please :thumb:

paddy138
11-05-07, 02:55 PM
1.4 sr and a few mods would be quicker. would you not just put a 1.6 in and not tell the insurance company. once you keep her between the ditches you will be grand

draper
11-05-07, 03:10 PM
a tuned 1.4 might cost the same as a standard 1.6 tho and not give you much over 100bhp

Jack
11-05-07, 03:15 PM
Don't listen to Paddy, he's clearly a cock.

SRi engine is a good choice if insurance is a concern as its the same insurance group as the carb but around 10bhp up as standard (bear in mind fitting mods will also up your premium - so a modded 1400 carb will be more expensive to insure than a standard 1400 MPi). Bear in mind though you'll need all the fuel tank and gubbins as well if your 1.2 is carbed.

ive_had_a_novadose
11-05-07, 03:15 PM
yeaa a 1.4 SR would be nice cheap and cheerfull but i might just go for a 1.6 and rebuild it over some time while my NCB builds up and all that is there any 1.4 or 1.6 enignes out of other vauxhalls that would fit and have more of a power gain than the nova engines?

Jack
11-05-07, 03:17 PM
To get more power than the Nova 1.4 or 1.6, you'd be looking at 16v engines, primarily from a Corsa.

ive_had_a_novadose
11-05-07, 03:19 PM
i thought about that and would prefer a carbed engine would be too much hassle changing fuel lines, tank, ect.. and yea i know it will up my insurance if i declare mods (that is IF i do lol) i think i would be happy with a 1.4 SR on T40's, 4 branch manifold, induction kit and getting the carbs tuned up

Adam
11-05-07, 03:21 PM
You WILL declare the mods ;)
Else its pointless doing them, when you write the car off and leave someone else with no car because your insurance is void.

paddy138
11-05-07, 03:23 PM
razor jack is a cock, dont listen to him, get a 1.4 tune it up, and DONT declare mods, they are only going to put your insurance way up.

ive_had_a_novadose
11-05-07, 03:24 PM
lol well if you put it that way then i'll declare the mods i gess its the same princible of just putting a 2.0 in and saying its a 1.2 on the log book

ive_had_a_novadose
11-05-07, 03:26 PM
paddy ur the cock round here ive been cruising this site for a while now and razorjack gives out good advice

paddy138
11-05-07, 03:26 PM
fook off.

wisewood
11-05-07, 03:27 PM
To get more power than the Nova 1.4 or 1.6, you'd be looking at 16v engines, primarily from a Corsa.

This post has been reported...
This is the reason that the user gave:
harassment

i can't see the problem?

ive_had_a_novadose
11-05-07, 03:29 PM
lol great as soon as i start a thread and i dont start many it gets reported sorry for any mess-ups wisewood

Jack
11-05-07, 03:30 PM
Right, so I'm a cock because I have a legal car with all the mods declared? As said, invalid insurance = no insurance. Could you afford to pay out for repairs to another car out of your own pocket?

lmfao... harrassment for giving advice? Top dog :thumb:

[edit] All this talk of cock, i'm surprised BT hasn't come in yet lol

wisewood
11-05-07, 03:32 PM
lol great as soon as i start a thread and i dont start many it gets reported sorry for any mess-ups wisewood

not your post kiddo - the one i quoted. :D

paddy138
11-05-07, 03:35 PM
yeah but if you cant afford them and your not a fool in your car whats wrong with not declaring it. just be sensible and dont crash.

wisewood
11-05-07, 03:35 PM
paddy - its not even your thread - stop reporting posts and calling them harrassment lol Clown.

paddy138
11-05-07, 03:36 PM
dont annoy my head,

wisewood
11-05-07, 03:36 PM
yeah but if you cant afford them and your not a fool in your car whats wrong with not declaring it. just be sensible and dont crash.

A 4 year old runs into the road in front of you while you are driving a nice sensible 38mph in a 40 - you kill the kid - you have invalid insurance - what do you do?

wisewood
11-05-07, 03:37 PM
dont annoy my head,

shut the f*ck up you prick. 24 hour ban.

Mike
11-05-07, 03:38 PM
razor jack is a cock, dont listen to him, get a 1.4 tune it up, and DONT declare mods, they are only going to put your insurance way up.

STFU homo and speak bloody ENGLISH (http://youtube.com/watch?v=jG03joaqrcc) child

ive_had_a_novadose
11-05-07, 03:38 PM
anything can happen at any time dont matter how good of a driver you are its other drivers on the road aswell if they pull out on you or run into the back of you lol i should know

Jack
11-05-07, 03:40 PM
Unfortunately, whilst you might be good enough to look after yourself and your own car on the road, you can't control everyone else. Doesn't take a second for someone else to slam into you, and the insurance assessors will pick out any reason not to pay out. Its a risk, and a big one considering the possible penalties.

If you can't afford to insure the mod, you can't afford the mod. Simple as.

[edit] 1st rule of Novaload, don't annoy the admin lol

draper
11-05-07, 03:45 PM
dont annoy my head,

FPMSL

annoy my foot, my hand anywhere but NOT MY FUNKING HEAD OK

personally id go for the standard 1.6 :thumb:

ive_had_a_novadose
11-05-07, 03:48 PM
do you think its worth it? as my 1.2 is carb and is it much of a bother to change all the fuel stuff? this is my 2nd nova and my first engine conversion so im a noob on the subject of conversions lol

craig green
11-05-07, 04:05 PM
Its just a matter of whacking on a tank , pump & lines from a GTE. Hang in the engine & gearbox & wire in the loom (7 wires).

Personally I think the 8v GTE lump is a tad disappointing but will be a massive improvement over what you have.

The alternative is sell yours & buy a cheap GTE or GSi. Plenty about & it will have elec windows & other bits on it that are a nightmare to track down & sort out.

ive_had_a_novadose
11-05-07, 04:12 PM
i want a GSi lump if its going to be any 1.6 and them 7 wires you tlk about what are they and where do you wire them to? do i keep my original 1.2 car and engine loom? also i have the leccy windows n c/l in already lol

craig green
11-05-07, 04:23 PM
/\/\ It was just a suggestion, but a GTE/GSi has thicker tie bars, anti roll bar, stiffer springs, thicker chassis legs & the fuel pump, tank & wiring already in.

Search for the wiring info, its been discussed to death.

Btw GTE & GSi are basically the same. The engine is known as E16SE with a few of the last GSi's having a C16SE which had a catalytic converter & no dizzy.
The early one (E16) is the easiest to wire in.

ive_had_a_novadose
11-05-07, 04:26 PM
cheers for the advice mate and yea i will search for the wiring lol

draper
11-05-07, 05:02 PM
and if you want a hand im local mate