PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions...

Anonymous
29-01-02, 07:37 PM
ok i have two questions which i will ask in one post instead of wasting time writing two.

1. My 1.3L keeps cutting out at random times.
The engine just stops when you try and rev it hard... and also does it if you have been running normally for a while. Its getting worse all the time.
I tried swapping the Dizzy and it made it a little better... but now its getting worse again. What could this be?

2. The handbrake keeps seezing up.
I know a few poeple who have had novas say they had to rock it back and forth a bit to release the handbrake sometimes but mine is terrible... earlier today i finally got the handbrake off and it just came back on again halfway down my street, out of nowhere and without warning. What the hell is this?

Before you say it - no i am not selling it and getting a better one. I cant afford to.
So its gonna have to be fixed. But how?

The name is misleading - I am not wise, or wooden.

Anonymous
29-01-02, 09:25 PM
Answer for No.2,

Take the wheels off the back, remove drums.

Check the condition of the inside of the drum (cracks, indents, very thin), check pads (thin), release the handbrake cable from the arm (drivers side) and get a friend to pull the handbrake on, if the movement is smooth then thats OK.

In the haynes manual it shows you where to put copper grease to free up the internals, do this, makes a load of difference.

Before refitting take a wire brush to the pads and insides of the drums.

Hope this helps.

Build in Spain, refined in my driveway.

Anonymous
29-01-02, 10:19 PM
Ques No 1.
Try changing the leads and plugs.

Anonymous
29-01-02, 11:53 PM
My handbrake has started sticking as well, even when i leave it in gear and have it on a tiny bit. The car had a major service in October and I saw them dismantling and checking the drums. Can't understand why this is happening after 3 months, especially when I used a Vauxhall garage for the service.

Anonymous
30-01-02, 09:29 AM
Question 1 - Replace the coil, simple job-literally remove 2 bolts, 1 lead and a multiplug, then bolt your new one on and plug the bits back in again, simple.
Coil should only cost u about ?20. My car had identical problems to yours, changed coil and everything was sweet again. Forgot to mention i first changed all plugs,
leads, dizzy cap , rotor arm etc Its always the last thing u try! ;)

Anonymous
30-01-02, 01:57 PM
the rear brakes on novas are shite. Both my GTE and my old sr have the problem that on wet mornings the rears like to lock up the first time i use the brakes. I've replaced the shoes, cleaned up the drums etc etc but it still does it. The only way to get rid of it, is to drive with the handbrake a bit on for 50 meters or so.

Anonymous
30-01-02, 02:32 PM
i have tried changing the plugs and leads... no joy!
swapped the coil over too but it wasn't a new one it was off another nova i have which i have never run so that could be buggered too.

will buy a new coil and try that.
as for the brakes... sounds a bit complicated... will take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

cheers people

Anonymous
31-01-02, 03:07 PM
Try a different fuel pump!

Anonymous
31-01-02, 04:29 PM
already using a different fuel pump.
made no difference.
and... neither has swapping the coil.