PDA

View Full Version : gearstick/linkage noise

Anonymous
24-01-02, 11:25 AM
I have got a strange rattling sound that comes from the gearchange linkage in my Nova, it occurs the whole time and in any gear. I have checked the linkage and cant see any thing loose.
If i touch the gearstick it stops.
Has anybody else ever come across this/any ideas?

Anonymous
25-01-02, 12:10 AM
nope

Anonymous
25-01-02, 10:22 AM
yeah it happens on mine i haven't got clue what it is though

Anonymous
25-01-02, 06:15 PM
yeah i got one in the taxi

i think its just cos its crap LOL

Micky@novaload.net

Anonymous
25-01-02, 06:40 PM
bottom ball joint on bottom of stick worn??

Anonymous
27-01-02, 10:47 PM
I know what it is, well on mine, if your car used to be 4 speed and you changed the engine to 1 with a 5 speed box, what allot of people do is cut the plastic block under the gaitor so 5th can be selected. Because its a 4 speed selector made to select 5 gears the plastic bit rettles just get a 5 speed selector. If you aint changed from 4 to 5 gears then i dont know

Anonymous
28-01-02, 09:25 PM
I have been trying to sort this over the weekend, i have a Gsi which is 5 speed anyway. It doesnt make the noise in neutral only when in gear (any gear)and being driven. I think it may be the linkage shaft rattling against the housing it goes through before it gets to the gearstick. It rattles exactly in time with the vibration of the gearbox/engine, but its impossible to find out exactly as it only makes the noise when the car is being driven :-(

Anonymous
28-01-02, 09:41 PM
what about if u take it out of gear and coast at about 40 mph? Keepin both hands on the wheel

Anonymous
28-01-02, 09:42 PM
what happens if u take it out of gear and coast at about 40 mph? Keepin both hands on the wheel

Anonymous
30-01-02, 07:21 PM
the rattle is quieter in neutral, gets slightly louder if i rev the engine, the same happens when the car is stationery, although the rattling noise increases if i push the gearstick slightly forward or backwards whilst revving the engine.
Its something to do with the vibrations of the engine/gearbox being transmitted down the gearlinkage i think :-/